View Full Version : Programming n00b looking for answers!

entropy1980
04-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Ok I have almost zero experience programming ( I did some simple command line type stuff early in college in C++ but nothing with a GUI heck I haven't even touched Visual Basic!) anyway I have an idea for an app only thing is I have no clue where to start. The questions I have:

1. What tools do I need? Software?
2. Any good tutorials out there?(I mean basic stuff but worthwhile in that concepts will help me later on how to get stuff working)
3. The app would be for Pocket PC first (although adding Smartphone support would definitely be a priority later)I need to also have a desktop component that would need to be developed and synced between the two any ideas on some ways to do that?
4. Lastly if you think I am way over my head anyone know of any dev's intersted in helping develop a new and exciting app let me know!!!

Thanks in advance for all help and suggestions!!!

ppcinfo
04-20-2005, 04:29 PM
I suggest you buy the book called Programing Windows CE.NET by Boling. It is the "Pocket PC Programming Bible" so far as I'm concerned. Lots of examples and it covers most of what you'll probably need.

Next, you can download the latest Pocket PC developer's tools from Microsoft (for free). If you want to develop using C or C++, download the Microsoft emBedded Visual C++ 3.0 from www.pocketpc.com developer's page. Using this tool will allow you to create applications for the older Pocket PCs running the original OS, as well as the newer 2002 and 2003 OS devices.

Now, if you've never programmed for Microsoft Windows, then I suggest you also buy the book, Programming Windows by Petzold, which truly is the bible for windows programming.

Good luck with your endeavours!

ppcinfo

entropy1980
04-20-2005, 04:33 PM
I suggest you buy the book called Programing Windows CE.NET by Boling. It is the "Pocket PC Programming Bible" so far as I'm concerned. Lots of examples and it covers most of what you'll probably need.

Next, you can download the latest Pocket PC developer's tools from Microsoft (for free). If you want to develop using C or C++, download the Microsoft emBedded Visual C++ 3.0 from www.pocketpc.com developer's page. Using this tool will allow you to create applications for the older Pocket PCs running the original OS, as well as the newer 2002 and 2003 OS devices.

Now, if you've never programmed for Microsoft Windows, then I suggest you also buy the book, Programming Windows by Petzold, which truly is the bible for windows programming.

Good luck with your endeavours!

ppcinfo

Thanks for the input so far will definitely check those out!