View Full Version : Downloading pocket streets maps

sonshineman
04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Hello folks, Sonshineman here.
this is my 1st time on his forum. I have a question and some help.
This may be an old problem and may have been answered before but not to me. I went to to download some maps for MS pocket streets but whenever I do my MS media player comes up and try to play the file. What am I doing wrong?

yankeejeep
04-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The file extension on the Pocket Streets maps is confusing your WMP since the same extension is also used to denote another type of file. You can either remove the file association, change the WMP player so it does not auto-launch, or just shut it down when it does launch. The files themselves should be unaffected and you should be able to access them from Pocket Streets once they're saved to a location on your device.

sonshineman
04-19-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The file extension on the Pocket Streets maps is confusing your WMP since the same extension is also used to denote another type of file. You can either remove the file association, change the WMP player so it does not auto-launch, or just shut it down when it does launch. The files themselves should be unaffected and you should be able to access them from Pocket Streets once they're saved to a location on your device.

Hey thanks for the reply yankeejeep. I tried your idea disassociation the file types from both WMP and then Quicktime tried to play the file. so I done the same with that player but I still can't download these files.
Anymore thoughts?

yankeejeep
04-19-2005, 09:04 PM
When you attempt the download, are you getting a box that pops that asks what you would like to do? If it does, make sure you choose to save the file rather than open it.

sonshineman
04-20-2005, 04:57 AM
No I am not getting that save box. When I click on the desired map link a media player opens up. I do not have the chance to choose where I want the file to go.

Fishie
04-20-2005, 09:30 AM
OK, so you are trying to open these on your desktop right?
Sounds like you have your filetype associations seriously messed up.

Pocket streets maps are meant to be used on a PPC or other WinCE devices.

There is no quicktime for WinCE devices so you must be trying to open these on your desktop.

If it is your intention to move them to a PPC then I have to inform you that double clicking the maps will do jack squat for that, this isnt Palm Hotsync.
If you are just connect your PPC to your PC with activesync open it go to my device and drag and drop the Pocket street files on the desired location on your handheld and that should dothe trick.

Again this isnt PalmOS, this isnt Hotsync, you dont install these by doublecliking on them.