View Full Version : Very Wierd Problem, possible virus on Ipaq?

shaxs
04-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Hello All, I have a very strange problem with my pocket pc. It seems to happen after I have left it along for quite some time. It happens docked and also turned off sitting on my desk.

I currently have 17 megs free ram allocated to program memory and 11 to storage space. But, I will turn on my pocket pc it will tell me that I am dangerously low on momory and to close all programs to free up memory. The back light wont come on and I have to keep pressing okay untill the dialogue dissapears. I then go to settings>memory and it says I have 0 free for either storage or program. Also, their are NO running programs... I have to reset the ppc. When it resets, I am back to 14 megs for storage and 14 for program...

Could I possible have a ppc virus? Also, seems to also have an event reminder on the screen during this time to. Any help is greatly appreciated!

yankeejeep
04-17-2005, 08:06 PM
The possibility of a PPC virus is so remote I doubt you need to be concerned about it. In fact, the most likely candidate would have asked you if it could be installed, so you would know if you had it.

First, how many apps are running? The 'X' button on the app windows does not close them, it simply sends them to the background. To close apps, you need to get a utility like Magic Button that adds close function to the 'X' button, or go to Settings/Memory/Running Programs to close any you don't need running and free some RAM.

If you browse the net or use AvantGo, another likely issue is that your space has been claimed for cache and temp files. If you can connect to a sync session, you can use your desktop Explorer to browse your device to find the folders of the cache and temp files and empty them. An app like MemMaid or Space Reclaimer can run at start-up (as well as manually at any time) to help keep the buildup in RAM of these surplus files under control.

See if these steps help you reclaim some RAM.

Janak Parekh
04-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Another possibility is you have a buggy program that has a "memory leak". Such programs cause available memory to slowly decrease to zero, even if they're killed afterwards.

Finally, custom Today plugins and the like don't appear as running programs... but some of them do have a memory overhead.

If you have time, you may want to backup, hard reset, and slowly reinstall your applications, monitoring the RAM usage appropriately.

--janak

shaxs
04-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Yes, I understand about the "Running Programs" section of the memory settings. When I open that it just has active sync.

I do run today programs, but I run a small amount. I have also been running this config for quite sometime and that is what perplexes me.

I do not think I have installed anything new, but I will go through and uninstall any non-standard programs I have installed.