View Full Version : x50 vs. x30

Patrick Y.
04-17-2005, 12:37 AM
I've always been wondering why X50 520mhz is more expensive than x30 624 Mhz. From what I've read so far, x30's specification (624 mhz version) is about the same as x50 520mhz. Is there some significant difference between them that make x50 more expensive?

ADBrown
04-17-2005, 05:35 PM
The X50 has a larger battery, dual expansion slots, extra flash memory, and a more stylish design.

Patrick Y.
04-17-2005, 05:38 PM
In conclusion, which is better? :)

pr0vider
04-17-2005, 05:51 PM
It depends...

Would you use your PDA a LOT while away from the charging stand? (i.e., hours on end and/or frequently) If so, a larger battery would be a necessity.

Would you use accessories that demand a Compact Flash slot? (i.e., GPS units, a camera accessory, etc.). If so, you'd need dual slots (both SD and CF).

Would you like your programs to load faster? More internal memory would be a better choice in this instance, especially for some programs that are memory intensive.

If this is your first PDA and you can afford the price difference, I'd suggest the X50. If you are on a budget or are just wondering what a PDA can do for you, buy the cheaper unit. :)

emuelle1
04-18-2005, 03:43 PM
The x50 is definitely better, as said above, because of the longer battery life, the dual expansion (CF and SD), and so on. The x50v also has VGA.

The x30 is still a good machine. In fact, my friend is going to upgrade to the x50v and sell me his x30. Not a bad deal.

Patrick Y.
04-18-2005, 11:47 PM
The x50 is definitely better, as said above, because of the longer battery life, the dual expansion (CF and SD), and so on.

One question though....... Does the processor influence the price greatly? X30 clearly has a faster processor.

Atrius Rex
04-20-2005, 02:28 PM
I've always been wondering why X50 520mhz is more expensive than x30 624 Mhz. From what I've read so far, x30's specification (624 mhz version) is about the same as x50 520mhz. Is there some significant difference between them that make x50 more expensive?

The reasons for the price difference have been well-highlighted in other replies. I made the decision about two months ago and went with the x30i. Why?

1) Processor was still 624MHz.
2) I knew several folks at work with the x30i and all were happy.
3) Even though I was missing out on the improved multimedia and style, mine was cheaper and I use it more for business than media/games.
4) Because it was a bit cheaper, I could splurge on accesorries (Belden flip case with SD card storage, extra battery, 256MB SD card, extra charger, etc.)

I spent literally several months in angst over this decision - not x30 vs. 50v but x30 vs. Palm Tungsten C (which has wireless AND a built-in keyboard).

I've always been a Palm user - had one of the old professionals, upgraded it to a whopping 2MB!! Moved to a Palm III and then a Palm IIIC, which is what I was using when the battery croaked. But I read so many vitriolic diatribes maligning Palm's support and all the hardware problems the Palms experience, the decision became, really, a no-brainer.

The x30i is an awesome platform and I have had very little, if any negative experiences so far. Next purchase will be the PowerPoint converter and cable so I can delivery presentations directly from my Dell...sorry "My name is Mike....and I'm a geek!"

Patrick Y.
04-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Nice comments, guys. :!: Thanks. :D

Sven Johannsen
04-20-2005, 08:24 PM
The x30i is an awesome platform and I have had very little, if any negative experiences so far. Next purchase will be the PowerPoint converter and cable so I can delivery presentations directly from my Dell...sorry "My name is Mike....and I'm a geek!"

If that was in your plans, you might have been better off with the X50v. It has a VGA out capability built in. You used to need to buy Dell's cable/Clearvue suite combo to get Powerpoint capability. Now PC-Mobile has the VGA cable available and several Powerpoint packages support the VGA out directly, as well as the mirror mode being built in.

Your option is singular, with a Margi SD VGA out card, which goes in the slot you might have wanted for storing your presentations. You knew you needed more than just a cable, right?

Not trying to say you made a bad choice, just wanted to point out the advantage of the X50v if PowerPoint is a consideration.

AximMeister
04-29-2005, 09:01 AM
X50v feels slower than X30 when both have same speed processor. I have them both. Wierd.

Patrick Y.
04-29-2005, 04:12 PM
X30 is definately faster than x50v. VGA screen and some other features on x50v slows down the device. :D

Atrius Rex
05-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Your option is singular, with a Margi SD VGA out card, which goes in the slot you might have wanted for storing your presentations. You knew you needed more than just a cable, right?

Not trying to say you made a bad choice, just wanted to point out the advantage of the X50v if PowerPoint is a consideration.

Sven, you make a good point and yes, I knew I needed more than the cable. I need the cable, software and certainly storage. So far, I've found the single SD slot in the x30 to be sufficient. Although, I am realizing that I need to be careful where I store applications vs. data. As usage grows, it's conceivable that I could end up with an application installed on one SD card while the data I need for that application is on another SD card - word to the wise :idea:

Menneisyys
05-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Now that it's clear (see for example http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=343703 ) the Dell Axim x50 series receives the WM2005 upgrade, while the x30 series don't, I'd certainly go for a x50 series device, even at a premum price compared to dirt-cheap x30 devices.

Patrick Y.
05-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Nice reasoning. :D