View Full Version : advice on buying new ipaq

cyj
04-16-2005, 08:32 PM
I just sent my ipaq 5555 back to best buy for the fourth time for repairs (5 times if you count the time I sent it to hp under warranty). Their tech support guys told me that the lemon clause on my service might kick in, meaning they may not send it back to me but instead offer me a "comparable" exchange/upgrade. I talked to a couple other clerks in the store and they pointed out they don't carry all the hp models, but maybe, just maybe, they might let me order off their website (if not, I might have to accept a tungsten t5).

It looks like I might be able to get the following:

iPAQ Mobile Media Companion rx3715
iPAQ Pocket PC with TFT Color Display hx4705
iPAQ Pocket PC with TFT Color Display hx2415
iPAQ Pocket PC with TFT Color Display hx2755

Anyway, I really haven't been able to keep up on ipaqs since I got my 5555 almost two years ago. I did some reading on PPCT and it looks like my choices come down to the 4705 and the 2755.

I don't want to argue over the VGA vs QVGA. If I get the VGA, I have no doubt I will enjoy it, even if there's less battery time.

Here's where I really could use some help. It sounds like the speed on the 2755 is superior and if that's the case, then I would really lean towards that model. I can't tell you how ticked off I would get at my 5555. I would pull it out hoping to get quick access to info or make quick use of a few moments, only to have to reset the device. It was constant, every day, at least a couple times if not more.

The other thing is that I used a dual-slot sleeve on my 5555 from memplug. So I had an SD slot with two CF slots available and more than 2 gbs of memory. I could always wait until a CF card got down to rock bottom prices before I bought it and then move the smallest CF card out and put in the new one. That was great.

But the 2755 only has a single slot and I haven't heard of any device where I can tack on more memory. So I guess I have to go hunting for a CF card over 2 gbs and that's going to cost me. The 4705 at least has two slots.

Lastly, are any of my old accessories for the 3900 and 5500 series of any use? The car charger, extra cradle and power source, stowaway keyboard (this one was for an ipaq 3600 and I had to use an adaptor for the 3900 and 5555).

One thing about the screens. What is it like using these screens in direct sunlight. And what about on a cloudy day. Again, I'll have to live with what I get, but I'm just curious.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

everettes
06-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Both the 2755 and 4705 are dual slot, they have SD and CF. I opted for the 2755 over the 4705 for size and convenience. I didn't care for the touchpad on the 4705 and vga didn't matter to me. My wife has the 3715 and she's happy with it. I prefer mine though.

xXAgentXx
06-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Just go on ebay and click "buyitnow" after your search and then click "highest price first" and see if you can filter a good deal out.

thats how i got my H2215 /w 128sd card with power cord and case.

I got it for a good deal back then it was $230 bucks. Not bad and it is a great pda, both CF and SD in one. I usually have my SD and wifi CF in when im surfing the web.