View Full Version : Good Keyboard for hx4705?

cooldude1015
04-16-2005, 06:27 AM
... Why does the infared sensor have to be on the bottom???? WHY!!! Anyways... I'm looking for a good keyboard. So far... I've found the Think Outside Bluetooth Keyboard and I like that but I don't really know anything about it.

phs
04-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Insofar as keyboards go, my two-cents worth is: [a] get one that connects via bluetooth (you're on track on this score); [b] avoid any keyboard that does not have a number row.

A keyboard that does not have a number row is like a knife with a cutting edge only on half its length.

Kowalski
04-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Insofar as keyboards go, my two-cents worth is: [a] get one that connects via bluetooth (you're on track on this score); [b] avoid any keyboard that does not have a number row.

A keyboard that does not have a number row is like a knife with a cutting edge only on half its length.

i am afraid i dont agree with you, i ordered think outside keyboard over ipaq for a couple of reasons, and one of the reasons was thinkoutside keyboard was lacking of number keys.
these keyboards are meant to be as small as possible, so you dont have an excuse to carry them with you wherever you go, and the keys must be full sized so you can touch type on them.
if you get rid of number keys, the keyboard will be smaller and the keys will be bigger as opposed to a keyboard with number keys

phs
04-17-2005, 08:37 AM
xxx
these keyboards are meant to be as small as possible, so you dont have an excuse to carry them with you wherever you go, and the keys must be full sized so you can touch type on them.
xxx

Keyboards without number the number row are pretty, but that's all they are.

How does one touch type on a keyboard without a number row? Maybe if you never have to type in numbers, but sooner or later you will have to type in numbers, so you'll be "touch typing" with one hand while juggling the Fn button with one finger of your other hand.

Unless you plan on carrying the keyboard in your pocket together with your phone and pocketpc, the smaller size does not translate to any real advantage. It's not as if you're going to break your back by carrying the "bigger" keyboard.

yankeejeep
04-17-2005, 01:24 PM
The number row is a matter of personal use. I don't find a number row a big aid; if it isn't laid out in embedded fashion, numeric keys don't really speed me up much. I'm just too used to number pad layout when doing number crunching. Now if ThinkOutside would take the numbers off the row and embed them like a notebook keyboard on their BT keyboard, I think I would be in PPC heaven.

cooldude1015
04-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Wha? I thought ThinkOutside BT keyboard did have the numbers embedded into the keyboard??? I only wish there was like a "num lock" on it so that I wouldn't have to push fn to type the numbers.

yankeejeep
04-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Wha? I thought ThinkOutside BT keyboard did have the numbers embedded into the keyboard??? I only wish there was like a "num lock" on it so that I wouldn't have to push fn to type the numbers.

No, both the IR and BT keyboard versions have the numbers in the top row, available using a function key. The folding version I loved with my old Jornada 568 had a number row and also the embedded keypad available using a numlock key (embedded keypad is usually used to refer to a layout like notebooks have where there is a standard keypad overlaid on some of the letter keys that you access through Fn and/or NumLk keys). I really miss the numeric entry speed that the embedded keypad layout allowed, but I will take that trade-off to have the very sveldt BT version they put out. I don't do enough spreadsheet work directly on the device for this to be a killer. The flexibility in positioning keyboard to device is great.

Tye
04-19-2005, 06:52 PM

I thought this too, but bought one anyway because I could always return it if I found it to be too much of a hinderance. It turns out that once I got used to it (a few days) I type just fine. Granted, I wouldn't want to do a lot of numbe rwork on it but for normal typing and note taking, it has been worth every penny. The lack of number keys really makes it a lot more portable.

phs
04-23-2005, 09:49 AM
I thought this too, but bought one anyway because I could always return it if I found it to be too much of a hinderance. It turns out that once I got used to it (a few days) I type just fine. Granted, I wouldn't want to do a lot of numbe rwork on it but for normal typing and note taking, it has been worth every penny. The lack of number keys really makes it a lot more portable.

I remember seeing a half-keyboard on the net. Manufacturer says you can type real fast once you get used to it. That should even be mooore portable.

JvanEkris
04-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I use the 3970 keyboard. It fits very well if you cut down the little curbes besides the connector.

Jaap

Tye
04-24-2005, 02:06 AM

I remember seeing a half-keyboard on the net. Manufacturer says you can type real fast once you get used to it. That should even be mooore portable.

OK, I'll bite.
If we follow the arguments for and against "alternative" keyboards, maybe we should add another row to the top of the standard keyboard with nothing but puncuation characters. This way we never need to touch the shift key.
I can now touch type numbers on my Stowaway just like my standard keyboard because my fingers know to go to the Function key that allows me to type numbers. Just like when I type punctuation like this... "!@#$%^&*()". :evil:

phs
04-28-2005, 09:10 AM
OK, I'll bite.
If we follow the arguments for and against "alternative" keyboards, maybe we should add another row to the top of the standard keyboard with nothing but puncuation characters. This way we never need to touch the shift key.
I can now touch type numbers on my Stowaway just like my standard keyboard because my fingers know to go to the Function key that allows me to type numbers. Just like when I type punctuation like this... "!@#$%^&*()". :evil:

Some punctuation marks already have dedicated keys. You don't have to hit Shift to get a period, comma, apostrophe, or semi colon. Do we need dedicated keys for the others? Would we be more efficient if the punctuation marks have their own row? Probably not, because we're all used to the standard keyboard layout. If we add a new row, that wouldn't be standard anymore, now would it?

Sure anyone can touch type on a keyboard without a number row. Sure anyone can learn to juggle that Function key real fast. He can even learn to speak French while he's at it.

Tye
04-28-2005, 09:31 PM
[quote=Tye]
...Sure anyone can touch type on a keyboard without a number row. Sure anyone can learn to juggle that Function key real fast....
My point, exactly. :wink:

Well, my friend, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Personally, I do own, and have used, a Stowaway sans number keys for a couple of months now and it works beautifully for me. It sounds like it is not an option for you.

I do hope the original poster received some useful feedback for his decision.