View Full Version : PPCT on Avantgo??

KC
04-15-2005, 02:08 AM
Is anyone having trouble getting PPCT on Avantgo?? Mine has worked fine up until about three days ago and now all I get is a blank screen. All other channels work fine. I miss my PPCT fix twice daily on the train!?!

tccox
04-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Same thing with me, Odd no one else has comlained.

Jason Dunn
04-18-2005, 04:15 PM
AvantGo is going the way of the Dodo bird...I haven't used it in a couple of years, and the last time we did a survey the number of people who were using it was pretty small. That said, we didn't break it on purpose. :-) I'll see what's up...

KC
04-19-2005, 04:10 AM
Jason,

Avantgo has gotten way much better in the last release since it's now a stand alone app, no longer tied into PIE. It's faster, more flexible, and better for wireless syncing.

Speaking of Dodo birds, if you go to the "Mobile" link on the PPC banner the page still lists Mazingo!?! Hasn't Mazingo been dead for at least a year now?

BTW, I also use Avantgo to download Digital Media Thoughts and that link is still working. Note, when you click on the "Mobile" link on the DMT homepage banner it still says "coming soon". I use www.digitalmediathoughts.com/mobile/index.php and it works fine (except the page is about 2-3 characters too wide).

KC

airconvent
04-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Hi Jason
I need to disagree on avantgo being defunct. I sync no less than 15 channels everyday and the feeds are wonderful reading on the move.
I also read while in bed before going to sleep. they've been great!

in fact, you were the one that introduced me to the avantgo during the infancy of PPCT. I remember writing to you and telling you I do not know how to configure my avantgo to receive your channel and you actually developed a convenient link to do it (thanks!). I found it a daily-must read! if the forum can be done likewise, even better!

for my case, currently I can still receive the channels, just that they are no longer word wrapped to fit the 320x240 screen. If this can be restored, many channle lovers will be able to continue enjoy this avenue to access PPCT.

thanks to you and your team for this wonderful site!

airconvent
04-23-2005, 06:40 PM
seems like the problem has been resolved.
the PPCT avantgo page now wraps and displays correctly...
thanks fellas!

applejosh
04-23-2005, 06:54 PM
AvantGo is going the way of the Dodo bird.

Well, i don't know if it will die off, but I think their subscribers have dropped off in the past year or two. I used to use it constantly, but I've pretty much started using iSilo & Egress in lieu of AvantGo. I still have AvantGo update, but I rarely read it. And I seem to get sync errors quite a bit. (There was a time where I couldn't sync with AvantGo for a week for some reason and then it started working magically again.) I do like AvantGo in that you can update the whole articles wirelessly without being tied to a computer (where iSilo doesn't have that capability and Egress (or any other RSS reader) will generally only fetch the feed parts (one of these days I'll see if I can figure out how to pull down the whole article)). So I give kudos to AvantGo for that. If only their servers were more reliable, I might even get a paid subscription just to help them along, but I hesitate paying for something which has been flaky in the not-too-distant past.

KC
04-23-2005, 08:23 PM
Yes, my Avantgo is working again. Thanks Jason! The page wrap still isn't right on my IPAQ rz3715. It's about 2 characters too wide.

Jason Dunn
04-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Yes, my Avantgo is working again. Thanks Jason! The page wrap still isn't right on my IPAQ rz3715. It's about 2 characters too wide.

That may be due to something temporary - sometimes we get images that don't shrink down properly, or text that doesn't wrap. Reply to this thread in a week if it's still a problem.

airconvent
04-24-2005, 07:17 PM
thanks Jason!

applejosh...I think your problems could be local. I've been syncing PocketPCThoughts on Avantgo EVERYDAY and except for once or twice a year when the avantgo service goes down for a day due to equipment failure, it has been working faithfully.

I only wished the same formating can be extended to the forums as well. when I click "replies" to the posts, the posts are not word wrapped like the main pages....

cheers!

applejosh
04-25-2005, 02:13 PM
applejosh...I think your problems could be local. I've been syncing PocketPCThoughts on Avantgo EVERYDAY and except for once or twice a year when the avantgo service goes down for a day due to equipment failure, it has been working faithfully.

I suppose it could be, but I sync from a couple of different places. I just don't have that high an opinion of AvantGo at the moment.

KC
04-26-2005, 12:41 AM
Jason,

One more very minor item to note while on the Avantgo subject. Did you know that in your Pricegrabber posts, the dollar amount in blue text doesn't show up on Avantgo? The post is there, just not the cost of the item.

No biggie, but thought you might want to know.

Jason Dunn
04-26-2005, 02:57 AM
One more very minor item to note while on the Avantgo subject. Did you know that in your Pricegrabber posts, the dollar amount in blue text doesn't show up on Avantgo? The post is there, just not the cost of the item.

Yeah, the problem is that the Pricegrabber uses iFrame tags, which AvantGo doesn't support. AvantGo doesn't support a lot of things actually, so there's only so much we can optimize for offline content viewing...

airconvent
04-26-2005, 04:28 PM

I suppose it could be, but I sync from a couple of different places. I just don't have that high an opinion of AvantGo at the moment.

oh...I'm using the plain vanilla avantgo that came in the ROM of my PPC2002 device! I found that without the new bells and whistles of the new versions that gobble up your RAM, it does a pretty good job.
also, make sure your media player is shutdown. (I do it using the original wisbar Ver 1.0!) If the player is on, sometimes it won't sync or sometimes the pda won't even connect!

airconvent
04-26-2005, 04:30 PM

Yeah, the problem is that the Pricegrabber uses iFrame tags, which AvantGo doesn't support. AvantGo doesn't support a lot of things actually, so there's only so much we can optimize for offline content viewing...

don't worry Jason,
I'm thankful your site is one of the few that still comes with attached images instead of boring text-only. Today, I had a medical appointment and thanks to avantgo (with PPCT! ) I managed to kill off 1.5 hrs reading avantgo channels while waiting for my turn! :-) Thanks again