View Full Version : Geekzone Review SPB Clone

Jonathon Watkins
04-15-2005, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=4252' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...?ContentId=4252</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Cloning software can reduce this burden by taking an "image" of the system including all files, registry settings and driver configuration and store them in a single file. When you need to deploy the system again the image is applied to the system placing things back exactly the way they were when the image was taken. SPB Clone was designed to help deploying Pocket PC devices consistently using this approach."</i><br /><br />Geekzone have reviewed SPB Clone and if you're looking for software for Pocket PC deployments, then it seems like an idea solution. You can create a standalone data file, or a self extracting package to deploy the image to a Pocket PC that doesn't have SPB Clone already installed. You could just use the application as a backup solution, but that misses the point. I've played around with SPB Clone and it does what it says on the tin. It simply clones your Pocket PC, cleverly leaving out it's own program files, so it won't be installed for curious users to stumble across. If you are working on a Pocket PC rollout or testing program, then it's worth your while evaluate this program. 8)

beq
04-15-2005, 03:52 AM
I haven't tried Spb Clone per se, but I was wondering if cloning would inherently make all cloned PPCs recognized as the master PPC (by ActiveSync, etc)?

What I mean is, even after changing the Pocket PC name on the clone PPC so that it has a different name, ActiveSync apparently still sees it the same as the original PPC, and it just transparently renames the AS profile to the new name (and the "[PPC-name] My Documents" folder is renamed to the new name). Then when I connect the original PPC back, AS just renames back to the old name (again using same profile).

What's the true "identity" that distinguishes one PPC from another?

On the other hand, will there always be specific settings in the PPC that cannot be copied/restored (so that you'd still have to configure them by hand on each device)? For example, the "Button Lock" setting on the PDA2k...

nicholas
04-15-2005, 12:16 PM
I haven't tried Spb Clone per se, but I was wondering if cloning would inherently make all cloned PPCs recognized as the master PPC (by ActiveSync, etc)?
No it is not possible. Desktop ActiveSync stores internal object IDs stored in the windows ce database which are cannot be restored after the device cloning.

On the other hand, will there always be specific settings in the PPC that cannot be copied/restored (so that you'd still have to configure them by hand on each device)? For example, the "Button Lock" setting on the PDA2k...
Spb Clone make the exact copy of all the files and registry values. I guess button lock feature settings are stored somewhere in the registry so it should work as expected.[

axe
04-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Does anyone know if the App will clone Windows CE 4.[something] devices? We are looking at CE devices for pricing and ordering, and having the cloning ability would be great, however the devices are not Pocket PC OS's they are a very recent CE rev. Unfortunately our demo device is in someone else's hands, so I cannot see what rev it is. When I get it back I'll look, but until then can someone hopefully answer?

thanx much
AXE

darrylb
04-18-2005, 04:02 AM
If you take a look at the product page (http://www.soti.net/default.asp?Cmd=Products&amp;SubCmd=PCPro) it says:Compatible with all Windows CE based devices, including Pocket PC, Smartphone, Handheld, Industrial and custom devices, from companies that include: @migo, 4P, Acer, Asus,Audiovox, Casio, Compaq, DAP Tech, Dell, Diagnostic Instruments, Fujitsu, HHP, HP, IMate, Intermec, Medion, Motorola, Nec, Panasonic, O2, Orange, Qtek, Samsung, Siemens, SKF, SurveyLab, Symbol, T-Mobile, Toshiba, Trimble, Unitech,Viewsonic, and Xybernaut. For information about other Windows CE based devices please contact us at [email protected] .

So - that looks like a yes! :D

vassiliphilippov
04-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know if the App will clone Windows CE 4.[something] devices?

Spb Clone supports all Pocket PC devices but not custom Windows CE devices.

Vassili Philippov
Spb Software House