View Full Version : What's the best mid priced Pocket PC?

Perk
04-11-2005, 11:59 PM
I've had iPAQs for a few generations now but am not sold on HP. I'm looking for something to replace my H2210 in the next 30 to 60 days.

Wish list:
Very small and lightweight
Wifi
BlueTooth
Memory card slot
400mHz or better
Very stable
Good battery life
More installed memory??
Dedicated voice record button
Spend around $300 - $400

I know there are lots more options available but these are what I am most interested in. Any suggestions?

Mike

David Prahl
04-12-2005, 04:39 AM
I'd recommend checking out the Dell Axim X30 and HP 4155, although keep in mind that smaller devices with wireless capabilities WILL consume more battery power.

Good luck in your search! :D

JPD6825
04-12-2005, 05:11 AM
Without a doubt - your best mid-priced PPC is the top of the line PPC - purchased as a refurbished unit. Just watch the prices at the Dell Outlet Handhelds page on a daily basis - you will find the best deal right there. The prices sometimes fluctuate - seemingly without sense. But I will guarantee you that within the next 60 days you will see an X50v there for <=$350. I purchased one a few weeks ago - for $349 (before shipping and taxes). It is as awesome as all the ravings you read on this site say it is! I'll also guarantee that virtually no one can find anything 'wrong' with your refurbished X50v. And they are giving you a full warranty. You cannot lose with this deal. Tonight the prices are a bit high - for some bizarre reason they are selling new units and refurbished units at the same price. - And their refurbished inventory is huge right now - 340 X50v's! My crystal ball says the prices will fluctuate down again soon - and you will buy one - and you will be thrilled!
The Dell Outlet: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/handhelds?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh :deal:
I'm not sure why I have chosen to become an evangelist for this - but it is as close to a divine revelation as I've gotten.

Perk
04-12-2005, 05:55 AM
keep in mind that smaller devices with wireless capabilities WILL consume more battery power.
I have no problem with this. I have a CF wifi card and only use it on occasion and BT built-in. I would have them turned off most of the time anyways. I just read about the 4150. It's smaller and lighter than what I own and has built-in BT anf wifi. Looks like a good candidate. Which PPC do you own and what do you think about it?

It is as awesome as all the ravings you read on this site say it is! I'll also guarantee that virtually no one can find anything 'wrong' with your refurbished X50v.
Refurb wouldn't be a problem but I think that the x50v is a larger PPC. I was hoping to go smaller than an H2210. Either way, Thanks for the link. It shows that they will include a 1GB CF card for another $50. Is this real??

Thanks both of you for your input.

David Prahl
04-12-2005, 06:11 PM
Which PPC do you own and what do you think about it?

I've got a Dell Axim X5 (no, not X50), it's ancient in PDA terms but it still runs quite well. It's a lot like your 2215, only a little older and a bit bigger. Battery life is insanely good on my X5, but that's because it's such a big unit. I use a CompactFlash 802.11b card as well. I've written a review of the X3 (very similar to the X30) here on PPCT, I found it to be a very good device. I have a co-worker who bought an X30 last summer and he absolutely loves it.

The 4155 has a more comfortable shape and sits in the hand better, although I'm not sure how the battery life compares to other units.

If you're not going to be using wireless all the time and you keep your CPU speed and backlight brightness at a moderate level you shouldn't notice a big difference in battery life.

I'd suggest you :google: for reviews of both units, they're both good devices.

surur
04-12-2005, 07:44 PM
I'm a trueVGA advocate. For the greatest upgrade value (what else is the point of upgrading) get a VGA device, even if its $50 more. If you dont think its worth the price you may as well continue using your current unit, as anything else wont add much feature and usability wise at all.

Get the Dell x50v.

Surur

Menneisyys
04-12-2005, 08:48 PM
You may want to check out my link collection at http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117248 .

Perk
04-12-2005, 08:48 PM
VGA is important. The only VGA PDAs I know of are the largest and heaviest on the market. I'm done carrying bricks in my pocket (E100, H3615 w/sleeve). When VGA doesn't compromise size and weight, I'm all for it.

This is my sixth MS operating system PDA. I know that future generations will have VGA, or better, and small size and weight. In the mean time, I'm interested in the functions listed above.

Thanks for your suggestion just the same. It looks like this thread is telling me not to upgrade yet. I wonder what the next gen products will bring to the table?

Mike

PS: The watch shown to the left is an attempt at a compact replacement for my PDA. So, I'm all about size. http://www.msndirect.com/default.htm

surur
04-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for your suggestion just the same. It looks like this thread is telling me not to upgrade yet. I wonder what the next gen products will bring to the table?

You are probably right. We are toward the end of a release cycle, and there is already speculation that new pocketpc's will be coming in June Also magneto is a major upgrade, with many advancements over the current batch. Much better to hang on a few more months, maybe increase your pot to $500. I would not buy myself now, and I already know (barring major surprises) that the MDA IV will be my next pocketpc.

I'm obligated to mention that the Loox 720 is about the same dimensions of your hp2210, but looks smaller and sleeker due to the styling. Its outside your price range however.

Surur

Perk
04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
What's magneto? Where can I read about it?

My budget can vary. I just need to see the value. Chances are that I'll sell it in two years though.

What's MDA IV? Whare can I read about it?

surur
04-13-2005, 12:27 AM
http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5757.html

http://www.infosyncworld.net/2005/02/02/gfx/t_mobile_mda_iv_03.jpg

The MDA IV will be the next biggest thing in Pocketpcphones in europe toward the end of the year. It has a VGA screen, 520 Mhz processor, 128 mb ram, 1440 mah battery, wifi, bluetooth, gsm and 3G phone, qwerty keyboard and 1.3 mpixel camera. It basically has near the full package. It should be around $800 without a network subsidy. It will have much less value in USA due to not being cdma and not being able to use the 3g in most places. In Europe it will go down the bomb however.

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm2005-magneto-en.shtml

Mageneto is the new OS, also called Wm2005, which should be coming out in the next few months. It is based on win ce.net 5.0, and the UI has been changed quite a bit, with shortcut menus tied to softkeys and single handed stylus free navigation being possible all over the OS. The OS will also be based in non-volatile memory, so hard reset due to a flat battery should be a thing of the past. You will also get better value out of your battery, as you will not be afraid to use it to 5%. There are many more further enhancements, including improvements in the built-in apps. Read about it above in the comprehensive preview of a leaked copy.

Either way, some exciting things are happening in the near term future.

Surur