View Full Version : The Completely Underwhelming PDA2

Jason Dunn
04-11-2005, 11:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://pocketpcdubai.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/582600994/m/616109938/p/1' target='_blank'>http://pocketpcdubai.infopop.cc/eve...m/616109938/p/1</a><br /><br /></div>Inside the Pocket PC Dubai forums, there's a discussion thread with some pictures of a new device that's a lot like an old device. I was initially confused because I was seeing photos of what I thought was the iMate2. Well, that's more or less what it is, just with WiFi added. Now iMate's twisted branding strategy is starting to make sense - the PDA2K is a PDA2 with a keyboard - that's what the "K" stands for. The PDA2 is very similar in looks, identical in specs, but it lacks the keyboard. And here I thought that all along the PDA2K was some sort of weak "Millennium" naming strategy. At any rate, if you want to see some photos and screenshots of the PDA2, check out the link above. And if you were a huge fan of the iMate2 (XDA2) but wished it had WiFi, the PDA2 might be the right device for you. Is anyone looking forward to this device, or is it as underwhelming as I think it is?

Paragon
04-11-2005, 11:22 PM
I think what makes this "underwhelming" isn't really it features but it's release date. This device was announced when the PDA2k was, but hasn't made it to market till just a few weeks ago when O2 released the XDAIIi which is basically the same device. If it had been available back then I would likely have chosen this over the PDA2k since I'm not a big keyboard user. But having WiFi included, with SE and WMP10, plus a faster processor would have suited me fine.

I have to wonder if we are seeing some production problems with HTC. This device took a long time to come to market. We waited a long time for the 850mhz version of the JAM. Could this be a sign that HTC is in the middle of some growing pains, and needs to expand it's production capabilities with all the business they are signing?

Dave

ID64
04-12-2005, 12:03 AM
It's very nice! Having seamless connection all the time. But I am afraid that after been spoiled by JAM size I am not coming back to this formfactor

ricksfiona
04-12-2005, 12:04 AM
I never wanted the keyboard, so I think this is good. I wonder if it saves weight or is trimmer? At the very least, it should make it a little more sturdier.

MitchellO
04-12-2005, 12:32 AM
Yeah, this is the same as what o2 did with the XDA IIi. It is simply an updated XDA II with WiFi and a few other things.

This is the same thing, but with that weird colour scheme.

Paragon
04-12-2005, 02:51 AM
One thing I just remembered about this device, it's only triband 900/1800/1900. at least I'm pretty sure it is. So if you are on Cingular/AT&amp;T you may want to confirm this first.

Dave

NunoFernandes
04-12-2005, 03:02 AM
HI there,

In Portugal HTC devices are branded under QTEK, so PDA2K is known as Qtek 9090, MDA II is known as Qtek 2020, MDA I is known as Qtek 1010. The PDA2 you were talking about is Qtek 2020i, "i" stands for Internet(Wifi) is was launched a few weeks back(25 of March in msmobiles) this Qtek 2020i a.k.a. HTC Alpine was announced by Microsoft in a conference they made, in which a friend of mine won a prize when they asked wich mobile device will be launched after the qtek 9090, e answered Alpine, he won a t-shirt or something if i'm not wrong.

For the specs fallow the Link to msmobiles (http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3708.html)

Airscanner
04-12-2005, 03:13 AM
Jason,

We actually have one that we use for testing our Pocket PC firewall. While I'm not familiar with previous models in this line, I do like the 128 MB of RAM that this one has. From what I've seen, 128 is the minimum RAM that the Pocket PC phone edition OS needs in order to be stable.

http://airscanner.com/wares/pda2k.gif

It seems to be solid, other than being a bit too big and overpriced. But I assume the price will drop with time.

Let me know if you'd like to play with the device.

Brad
http://airscanner.com/

rene_canlas
04-12-2005, 01:41 PM
So you have a PDA2K. I though we were discussing the PDA2? I'm confused.

Airscanner
04-12-2005, 02:00 PM
oops I must be wrong, or confused as usual :)

I can't tell form his screenshot which one it is

Paundskumm
04-12-2005, 03:29 PM
So you have a PDA2K. I though we were discussing the PDA2? I'm confused.

Yeah, that makes the you and the rest of the world. I can't keep track of all these HTC different brandnames. That would be PDA2K = XDA IIs and PDA2 = XDA IIi I think.

Still, not interested. Faster processor and I think a little more rom plus a better camera 1.3mp. What I want is my blackberry push on my XDA IIs or that keyboard is a useless little add on. To make things worse, the original XDA II (or imate) already supports blackberry pushmail. :roll: I don't know why it is so difficult to have this upgrade... If they got the original XDA II working, why is is taking so long to do it for the XDA IIs and IIi???

Paragon
04-12-2005, 03:32 PM
As Jason pointed out, it's easy to be confused. The one pictured above by Airscanner is a PDA2K.....K is for keyboard. The PDA2 (no k) is the same form factor as the original iMate/XDAII, but has a faster processor, better camera, WiFi, Wm2003 SE, and WMP10

Dave

Jason Dunn
04-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Comments and spelling and attitude adustments split to here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39202

Airscanner
04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
k for keyboard...now it makes sense :)

biglouis
04-12-2005, 06:13 PM
I think HTC should concentrate on the area it has clearly carved out a winning niche - the JAM form factor.

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for a 128MB Quad Band JAM with integrated Bluetooth and WiFi?

Now that would be worth upgrading for

LouisB

MitchellO
04-13-2005, 12:49 AM
From what I've seen, 128 is the minimum RAM that the Pocket PC phone edition OS needs in order to be stable.

I have 64MB on my XDA II Mini and have no problems. You don't need 128Mb to be stable, I have no stability problems whatsoever on my 64Mb device.

That would be PDA2K = XDA IIs and PDA2 = XDA IIi I think

Thats right.

bnycastro
04-13-2005, 03:22 AM
I think HTC should concentrate on the area it has clearly carved out a winning niche - the JAM form factor.

I wonder how long we'll have to wait for a 128MB Quad Band JAM with integrated Bluetooth and WiFi?

Now that would be worth upgrading for

LouisB amen to that! :mrgreen: