View Full Version : Does anyone know how to forward all IR information received to a pc from powerbookG3?

chees
04-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Well I got a pocket pc a while back but still not able to connect it to my PC. The only way, well easiest way to connect it is through infrared. The only thing in my house besides my remote controls that has Infrared is my brothers Powerbook G3 with OS 10.3.8. Well this is what I want to do, I want to try to connect my pocket pc to the powerbook through infrared but foward the information to my PC so it can be detected and finally establish a partnership with it. Is their a way I can do this?!?! I'm really desparate. I can either connect the Powerbook through Firewire or through my LAN/WLAN. It doesn't matter how hard it is to do it because all I want to do is connect it once because after I can connect with the wireless 802.11B card in the pocketPC to the PC. Microsoft stupidly didn't allow for the first PPC partnership with the PPC and PC through wireless.

Jason Dunn
04-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Your PC doesn't have a USB port?

chees
04-11-2005, 11:47 PM
It has 11! I just don't have a d@mn cable.

Jason Dunn
04-12-2005, 12:30 AM
It has 11! I just don't have a d@mn cable.

Oh. The you're screwed - all Pocket PCs come with one. You can get one from eBay, Pocket PC Techs, or many other places.

For better or worse, the reason why you need to initiate the partnership via a PHYSICAL connection is security. Imagine someone being able to create a partnership with your computer remotely and being able to suck off your Outlook data into their device...not a pretty scenario. I'm sure there are ways to allow remote initial connections without there being a security risk, but Microsoft has yet to implement them.

chees
04-12-2005, 01:35 AM
I decided to put virtual PC on my brothers powerbook, sync through infrared that way, then take the user file it creates and put it in my pc.

Jason Dunn
04-12-2005, 02:34 AM
I decided to put virtual PC on my brothers powerbook, sync through infrared that way, then take the user file it creates and put it in my pc.

And that worked? Cool - way to get creative! :mrgreen:

chees
04-12-2005, 04:01 AM
Well it nearly worked :( I don't know how to get virtual PC to detect an IR port :(