View Full Version : Windows Mobile 2005: regressions?

jlp
04-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Is Windows Mobile 2005 filled with regressions, besides a few progressions?

First off I know WM5 is a work in progress; however it's close to final and I unfortunately highly doubt every shortcomings listed here will be adressed totally and fully.

1) This close-button-that's-NOT-a-close-button!!

EVERYBODY's been shouting about this and Microsoft still seems perfectly deaf (or is it dumb? :twisted:) to this call and hasn't changed anything here.

STAGNATION !

2) Then that bottom bar that used to be a menu bar, that is now only filled with 2 items, usually New and Menu; before you had a direct and full list of menu items, now you need to press a menu button to access the list :evil:. Now you even need an extra step to access your menu items.

REGRESSION !

3) System hints: they keep popping up in front of whatever you're doing. It's been annoying, irritating and worst error inducing ever since earliest versions of Windows.

How many times in desktop Windows have you dismissed a message box while typing some text and the message box popped in front of your window and was dismissed while you pressed some key or the space bar??

Not only did you just furetively saw the box, but couldn't read what it said (often times very important), just to make it disapear by your typing and accept or cancel that important message??

It's slightly different here with Windows Mobile but it can be very annoying when a message popsup while you do other important things and it stops your course of thoughts!!

The solution is to make an icon flash 2-3 times on the title bar (optionally beep as well); then if you don't acknowledge the message by tapping its icon to view it and process it, it would keep flashing/beeping every x configurable minutes. This way it's NEVER bothering or worse.

The Newton OS 2.x did that 10 f.cking years ago!!

REGRESSION !

4) Tray disapears and its icons are moved one line above.

REGRESSION !

5) NO apparent way to choose a SIP (Soft Input Panel, the keyboard, character recognition or other mean of software input).

REGRESSION !

6) In Calendar, you now have a direct access to 5 different views. In WM5 you have to press a button multiple times to rotate to the view you want; of course you have to cycle again thru the whole list if you miss a view because you press one time too much because the system was too slow: THAT will happen many times, you can bet on it.

REGRESSION !

The list continues and might be updated as I see other shortcomings.

iorkara
04-11-2005, 01:21 PM
You can you "WizBar Advance" it allows you to customize the menu bars. It has a real close button, it has everything you can think of that can be placed on a menu bar. The program is for free, just search for it. At the moment i got the Mac menu on my PPC!!!