View Full Version : How often do you adjust the backlight?

gwinter
04-10-2005, 04:48 AM
I was traveling some days ago and battery was running a little low. Then it struck me that since there was sufficient sunlight, I could actually turn off the backlight on the display to get longer runtime. Thinking further I realized I adjusted the brightness just once during initial setup and that's it. Back in the 'old' days, the iPAQs used to have a light sensor that could automatically backlight depending upon how much ambient light is available. I think the last model to have this is the 5xxx-series. So presumably hardware/software has improved runtime to the point that this type of sensor is redundant.

So do you do the adjustment often?

jimski
04-10-2005, 05:48 AM
My hx4705 has an "automatic" option but I don't use it. I typically will use my device a few clicks below the mid-point on battery power and a few clicks above on AC power which serves me just fine.

I will occasionally lower the brightness when power is running low and I don't have access to a spare battery or charger/

phanprod
04-10-2005, 05:49 AM
My hx4705 has the automatic backlight adjustment... I don't use it, though. I like it to be a tad brighter than they set it to be.

ADBrown
04-10-2005, 06:07 AM
I never adjust the brightness, unless I'm going to be in direct sun for awhile, or if I'm showing off the screen. For everything else, the lowest notch of brightness on my X50v is more than bright enough.

LPC
04-10-2005, 08:41 AM
I have mine on low for normal use and when it's in the car in GPS mode it goes to full :).

surur
04-10-2005, 09:34 AM
I wish there was an option for "a few times per week".

I always run my pocketpc's at the lowest notch, accept for GPS and when showing it of, or using it as a flash light. I am always amazed how beautifully the screen look at full brightness, and how vibrant the colours. However at lowest backlight it is perfectly serviceable for all activities accept viewing pictures and video, and most of what I do on a pocketpc is text in any case.

I also enjoy the much increased run times at the lowest notch. At highest brightness the screen uses more battery than wifi usage, which I dont really find acceptable. At the lowest backlight I know my pocketpc could stay on in my pocket for 10 hours straight, if it has been activated accidentally. At highest backlight its only 5 hours. This has given me the confidence to deactivate the "switch of if not used in x minutes", which avoiding the annoying switching on and off all the time when Im copying text from there.

In short I find the lowest backlight perfect for reading in bed, for use in the office, and when Im outside I just turn toward the sunlight for extra backlight from the trans-reflective screen.

Surur

Stephen Beesley
04-10-2005, 10:26 AM
One thing I missed when I moved from my Jornada to a Toshiba was the automatic sensor.

As I use my PPC for watching movies quite a lot on the 1 hour long train trip to and from work each day I tend to have it set at full brightness in the morning and most of the time just leave it there as the device is charging all day at my desk so battery life is not really a worry. If I was going to be away from power for a while however, I would set it at a notch or two below the mid point.

Len M.
04-10-2005, 04:43 PM
We do lots of high resolution audio recording with our PDAs. Most of the recording is done during performance and its important not to bother people with the glow from the screen.

So we adjust screen brightness often (more than ten times a day).

I wish that the Dell X50v had more screen brightness options than it does. We need a lower setting than it currently offers, and when the backlight is off, its really impossible to read.

It would also be nice to completely disable low power warnings, like the old PocketPC 2000 offered. Windows Mobile does not allow you to turn off warnings completely, and when the warnings pop-up, they can interrupt other programs.

discordian
04-11-2005, 01:29 AM
I lower the brightness when I'm reading an ebook in bed and the wife is sleeping.

that's about the only time I mess with it.

baker
04-11-2005, 03:16 AM
I lower the brightness when I'm reading an ebook in bed and the wife is sleeping.

that's about the only time I mess with it.

Same for me. But, I also use the freeware AutoBacklight on my 4155, so you could argue daily I guess as I'm bright on cord and mid on battery. Low when reading at night.

Kowalski
04-11-2005, 09:18 PM
i adjust the backlight whenever i change my location,
min backlight when i am in the bed, full brightness when i am outdoors,
50% when i am in the office and 25% when cradled(i use the device for deploying my projects)
i tasks is an excellent program. brightness is just a couple of hardware buttons away with itasks

Perk
04-12-2005, 12:09 AM
The only adjustment I do is backlight off. Most of the PPCs I've owned have a shortcut to this function, just press and hold the power to see if yours does it.

My backlight set to full brightness in the cradle and for 3 minutes when on batteries. With the H2210, I don't get the low battery warning unless I'm using PocketMusic and bluetooth for around 45 minutes with the backlight on. I don't really use it much longer unless it's hooked up to power. So I go for the brightness to makeup for my failing vision. :lol:

Mike