View Full Version : New hx4700 ROM upgrade with WMP10 coming really soon!

Menneisyys
04-08-2005, 10:36 AM
New hx4700 ROM upgrade with WMP10 coming really soon!

Check out this: http://www.ipaqhq.com/forums/showthread.php?p=77191

PhilH
04-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Great news. Just as I was beginning to think HP had forgotten us...

BUMP THAT
04-08-2005, 03:51 PM
I cant wait. and I thought HP didnt care about us? :?

Joulet
04-12-2005, 05:07 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what does a rom update actually mean... New software? more memory? both? \
Please explain.

Joulet

BUMP THAT
04-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Anything. Such as WMP10. Bug fixes and what note.

Sven Johannsen
04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what does a rom update actually mean... New software? more memory? both? \
Please explain.

JouletNot more memory. The stuff that your PPC had when it came out of the box is retaind in ROM, but flashable ROM. That means it can be written to, but is not really designed to work like RAM, and is not volitile. That is, it doesn't go away when you lose power. Periodically OEMs provide an update that completely rewrites the ROM of your PPC, making it like new out of the box, but with bug fixes, possibly new programs and features, and occasionally even a new OS version.

The other option to getting new stuff is a RAM installed update, which takes up RAM space and does disappear if you have to hard reset your device, though you just need to load it again.

Those excited about this would be advised to check out some threads on MP10 to see if they really want this. It adds some great features, but you lose some too. It's kind of a step sideways, IMHO. I like it, but there are others that do not. Keep in mind the update is likely not reversible, and it remains to be seen if there are other fixes that make the update compelling.

cooldude1015
04-17-2005, 05:08 PM
woot.... WM10.... Yay.... Unless the thing has bug fixes... There's no way I'm going to get the ROM update.. I mean seriously.... who actually uses Windows Media Player?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

jpf
04-19-2005, 02:39 AM
sounds like social engineering at work here to me.

stevelam
04-22-2005, 08:24 PM
I cant wait. and I thought HP didnt care about us? :?

They don't (not h2210 users anyway, i'll be ordering my third set of sidegrips soon) :soapbox: