View Full Version : How often do you replace your Screen Protectors?

humayunl
04-08-2005, 09:01 AM
I have always used screen protectors for my PPCPE. The current one has been there for almost 6 months and as far as I can see, it still doesnt need replacement. But I just realized that i have never read anywhere or asked anyone what the criteria is for replacing screen pretectors.

How long do yours last? The nature of use and amount of wear n tear is obviously what affects how often and when you replace them.

My question is, what does one use as a measure to decide that it is worn out and it is time for change?

I just want inuput on this so i can make some kind of "screen protection policy" :)

aeror
04-08-2005, 09:31 AM
I never saw any "official" rule when to replace the protector. I change the foil when I observe that there are many scratches on the protector and when the screen is losing colors. Also the old foil is losing its adhesive power, so specially in the screen corners it is starting to separate from the display.
All depends on how often you use the palmtop to write something or play the games. In my case (daily, heavy use) it's about half a year.

Menneisyys
04-08-2005, 09:53 AM
I've been using my Brando protector on my

- 2210 for a bit over 1.5 years. It's preferctly usable even now; of course, the Start menu and the Close buttons are perfectly visible on it. However, it has no physical damage (hasn't leaked anywhere) and, because my 2210 is retired, I haven't therefore changed it.

- Zire 71 for 2 years (which is mostly a gaming PDA for me and serving testing purposes - no real, everyday work). Looks as new.

- Pocket loox 720: UC, for half a year, heavy use, looks like new.

G M Fude
04-08-2005, 11:39 AM
The Brandos usually last me a couple of years. The deterioration if only fine scratches can be gradual and I tend not to notice. But I had a big gouge in one on my old Palm III, which necessitated my first replacement many years ago. No matter how many times I do it, applying a screen protector is a sod of a job...

TopDog
04-08-2005, 01:36 PM
I used to get these cheap 6 in 1 packages through work, and they where crap. Had to change at least once a month.

But after I bought the expencive one at www.proporta.com, I haven't needed to change yet. The screen still looks completely unscratched, clear and nice after several months.

newst
04-08-2005, 03:21 PM
You're supposed to replace them?

What a novel concept! I've been using PocketPC Tech's screen protectors on every one of my PPCs since my Casio M115 and each has lasted until I replaced the PDA.

Sven Johannsen
04-09-2005, 02:29 AM
I never replace them, I just buy a new PPC. Easier that way. Had to buy a new car the other day, tires were getting bald on the old one ;)

Darius Wey
04-09-2005, 03:06 AM
Had to buy a new car the other day, tires were getting bald on the old one ;)

Sven, do get in touch with me if you're interested in *helping* me change my tires. ;) :P

discordian
04-11-2005, 01:32 AM
They make screen protectors?!?!?

:wink:

seriously - I don't use one. I got it form my last job already lightly used.
when I upgrade and buy my own I will definately buy the best screen protector.

Perk
04-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Well,

I had to use screen protectors on my old Casio E100 becasue the screen material was soft. However, I NEVER used screen protectors on my H3835, H1910 or H2210. I've had my H2210 for around 1.5 years and have no scratches or blemishes on the screen. What's more, I carry it without a case in my left front pocket facing in. I can't stand the extra weight or bulk.

The only problem I'v had is that this model has side grips that deteriorate.

OneAngryDwarf
04-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Screen Protectors? What are those?