View Full Version : Axim 50v vs. Tosh E800

pivaska
04-06-2005, 01:12 AM
I have the opportunity to choose either a Toshiba E800 or a Dell Axim 50v. The Toshiba has a bigger screen but a 400 processor vs the Dell 624 processor and smaller screen. Toshiba doesn't have bluetooth but it does have 128 megs of Ram vs the Dell 64 that does have bluetooth. There are a couple of other minor differences but not a big deal for me

I would like the opinion of the forum people on this one. Which would be better at this time?

jpjehu
04-06-2005, 03:04 AM
No comparison - I've owned both - the Dell Axim x50v is considerably better because of the following:
-more compact size, but reasonable screen size
-much faster processor
-much better video chip
-bundled 3d games
-cheaper accessories
-no lag time in button presses for games (the e800 is virtually useless for action games that are dependent on the use of the buttons)
-lighter in weight
-etc
Good luck deciding!

Craig Horlacher
04-06-2005, 03:11 AM
The e800 does have a free upgrade available to go to 2003se for what it's worth. The slightly larger screen is nice but I've seen the one on the x50v and don't really notice a difference (I see it but it doesn't bother me). The problem with the e800 is it has an ati graphics chipset that has some support but overall is not well supported directly and then doesn't buy you much. The graphics chipset in the x50v is great and developers seem to be jumping to support it even though the x50v is still the only pda using it.

If you want to play a lot of game get a sony psp (I just got one and love it - no pocket pc can compare for gaming) but if you don't need the 128MB of actual ram go for the x50v. You may find the bluetooth to be useful with a mobile phone or something sometime also.

Ripper014
04-06-2005, 06:33 AM
This is a tough decision... and the one thing to remember is that the Toshiba is one generation old now... so you should be able to get better pricing for it.

Other than that... I really think it depends on how you want to use it. The thing that I really appreciate about the Toshiba is the 4 inch screen... if it is possible to get a e830 instead of the e805 you will get both BT and Wifi... however you will lose the ATI chipset...

It is a difficult choice... but the main reason for me to choose the Toshiba was price... ram... and screen size. The Dell has some nice features as well... the faster processor... and graphics chipset. I really feel it comes down to how you want to use it.

The one thing I have noticed is that Toshiba owners seem very satisfied and loyal to the e800/830 series... through all my issues with Toshiba Canada... I still like my unit. If only it was faster... but then... I would no matter what unit I had... if I see the wait symbol it is too slow.

Stephen Beesley
04-06-2005, 11:22 AM
No comparison - I've owned both - the Dell Axim x50v is considerably better because of the following...

Thanks jpjehu - great summary!

I find myself in pretty much the same position as piviska and have been leaning towards the Dell. I still love my Toshiba e755 and am attracted to the e800 and e830 series for the bigger screen, but overall the Dell seems to be the better value package.

pivaska
04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
These are some really good thoughts and issues. I am tending towards the Dell because of newer technology, a bit smaller size and a bit faster. I don't do too much gaming but I do watch movies and I have noticed a difference.

I was wondering witht he 64 megs of ram how much free program memory do you have after you have loaded up your programs? I have both a 1 gig SD card and a 1 gig CF card. I am planning on using the CF card to hold most of my programs.

I am using Active Sync 3.8 and am having just a bit of a problem syncing up. It starts and then the icon drops to the tray but when I try to open it up to see what is happening it won't open. I am going to try a reboot on both the pda and laptop.

Ripper014
04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Actually one of the main reasons I got the e830 was the price... it was quite a bit less expensive than the Hp4700 or the Dell x50V here in Canada. The other main concern was the lack of internal ram for both the Hp and the Dell...

If I was in the market today... I might be tempted to wait for the next operating system to show up; my guess is that it is probably only 3 to 6 months away. When wm2005 does show up, the price of current units should drop significantly.

I have not had the opportunity to play with the Dell x50V but I should be able to do that in the next few weeks.

pivaska
04-07-2005, 06:58 PM
I am fortunate that my job supplies me with any hardware that I need so price is not a concern. The reason it was Dell instead of HP was because we have all Dell computers/servers and it becomes a one stop shopping type of thing. Also the great support. I hope that when wm2005 comes out I will be able to upgrade. I have decided to stick with the Dell and have my Tosh safely tucked away in my desk drawer.