View Full Version : 2.2 GB Microdrive or 1 GB SD for $75? Which should i get?

zilla31
04-05-2005, 12:42 PM
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A0429648

or

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=GS1022C-N&sourceid=qIbKQk2Hj17KAnbPRiqv

ok at first the choice seems obvious (since one has twice the capacity) but i've heard that the microdrives are really bad on your battery... i want to use whatever i buy primarily for movies/video on my axim x50v.

THANKS!!!

BUMP THAT
04-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Yes I have read that Microdrives are bad on the battery. I think it is only after 2GB that it is a Micro Drive. I am also thinking on what to get. I might just get an SD card unless I find a nice CF card. :)

jickbahtech
04-05-2005, 05:45 PM
My Vote goes for the SD card.
It's probably going to be faster, and you wont have to worry about it not working. The 1GB in my iPaq is pretty much a permanent 'drive', and I use CF for removeable media (CF is still a little cheaper where I'm at). MagicStor seems to have a pretty bad reputation for reliability and compatibility.

As for Battery life, I can't say since I don't have one. I know from reviews posted for Seagate and Hitachi, that battery life was impacted, but most seemed to think that it was a decent trade for the storage. Kind of inconvenient sometimes, but not a deal breaker. I'm seriously looking at getting a 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive.
Price is down to about $170 with shipping since the 6GB came out, and that aint bad...

EDIT:
If you're using an X50v, I would not recomend using a Microdrive unless you also grab an extended run battery.

zilla31
04-05-2005, 05:49 PM
hmmm - that's not bad at all. 4gb for $170 - prob worth saving up for. could but a bunch of movies on there ;)

i think i'll get the 1 gb SD for now (good deal at 78) and save up for this 4gb possibly :devilboy:

BUMP THAT
04-05-2005, 07:42 PM
I may get a microdirive to. Maybe just for media. Sounds good. And a SD card for Games and otehrs. 6GB micro drive is so huge!!! 8O

Perk
04-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Um,

Wat a sec.

I love my PocketPC and it does play movies. Microdrives start at around 300mb and I know first hand that the one i HAD sucked the life out of my battery.

Before you drop that cash, did you know about this: http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/Cultures/en-US/ModelDetail.html?PCI=Lyra+Portable+Multimedia&ProductID=RD2780

20 gigs, TV programs, etc and I've seen them refurbished on ebay for around $175!

BUMP THAT
04-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Ya but it means nothing compared to a PPC ;)

Perk
04-07-2005, 04:01 AM
I'm not saying it replaces my PPC. This is just a way cool device for movies and mass storage stuff for a whole lot less than it would take to fit my PPC to do what this thing is built to do.

zilla31
04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
ahhhh but convergence is bliss :)

jickbahtech
04-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah I'm down to 2 gadgets when I leave the house, and I'm pretty much fine with that.

BUMP THAT
04-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Ya it is noce though. I almost bought something like it. ! gadget can be too much when I leave my house. :D My iPAQ 4700 is heavy with the EXT Battery. But it is so nice. I can get 2-3 days on it on one charge with extensive use while being clocked to 200 some MHz.

ehartung
04-08-2005, 08:17 AM
I bought that CF microdrive. It did arrive today, but I didn't have time to play with it. I just installed on my X50V. the only bad thing is that it is hard to get it out....

haven't got time to check the battery yet...

The Microdrive comes inside a plastic box (the size of a 3.5" hard drive... and it comes loose inside that box..... if you shake the box, the drive goes everywhere.... but they package well outside of it ?? go figure !

Perk
04-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I'll be interestedto see how you like it. I bought my microdrive when they firrst came out and I'm hoping that the power consumption is improved.

BUMP THAT
04-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I bought that CF microdrive. It did arrive today, but I didn't have time to play with it. I just installed on my X50V. the only bad thing is that it is hard to get it out....

haven't got time to check the battery yet...

The Microdrive comes inside a plastic box (the size of a 3.5" hard drive... and it comes loose inside that box..... if you shake the box, the drive goes everywhere.... but they package well outside of it ?? go figure !

LOL. How dumb. And they are supposed to be fragile too. Now would if it got treted like the box of chocaolate milk that went through hell to get eo the owner...all to just get "Shaken uP?" :) :D

buckyg
04-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I've enjoyed this CF drive so far, though haven't had much time to do much with it yet. I see I'm not the only one a bit miffed on the packaging it was shipped in. Since it's a drive, I was a little concerned...

JPD6825
04-09-2005, 06:37 AM
I'm another one who just went for the MicroDrive on sale recently at ComputerGeeks. I too thought the packaging was way lame. And it is hard to get out! Swapping in a card from my camera for now seems like a bit of a pain. I hope we get lucky on reliability.

BUMP THAT
04-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Ya you better hope it last for at least a year!! 8O