View Full Version : Frustrated with my PocketPC

Glohamar
04-05-2005, 11:51 AM
I have been a PPC user since June 2001 and have been very happy, but here lately I have been getting frustrated.

I use my PPC a lot, mainly because we have only one computer in the house and my wife uses it in the evening, so I use my PPC and browse the web, play music, play games, manage finances, read books, and even use it at work for meetings.

Here is the deal. I use Sprite Backup Premium and back up about every other day. Well I have been having this problem over the last few months where my PPC would get flaky and eventually hard reset itself when I just wanted to do a soft reset.

So I go and install Sprite to restore my last back up and it fails. Not only once, but I try several times. I have been in contact with the Sprite tech and they have been very helpful in resolving my issues, but I am tired of having to do this every few weeks. And a really strange thing is that if I use the utility to make back ups while synced to my PC, it fails and hard resets again. I can backup fine to my storage card.

Well I think I have found the problem. I have an old copy, version 2.0, of Personal Vehicle Manager. I have noticed that after opening it up a few times to make entries, it seems to cause the flakiness. I know this because I quit making entries for about a month and never had a problem until I started making entries again. I have not had a chance to get PVM 2005 yet, but was wonder if anyone else experienced problems with PVM and if PVM2005 resolved them?

Also, is it possible that I need to re-flash my 3950? I am running WM2003. I am getting ready to do a manual re-install of my apps and wanted to know what your thoughts are on the re-flash before I get started. Also, have you had good luck with restoring a backup? Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Well, sorry for the long post/rant.

Dave

Pat Logsdon
04-05-2005, 05:27 PM
It sounds like you've got something nasty in your backup that's being restored every time. I think you're on the right track to do manual reinstalls - that should fix the problem. You may want to install a few programs, backup, try a restore, repeat. That'd give you an indication of whether the problem is with more than one program. Flashing the OS is probably not necessary.

Glohamar
04-06-2005, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the input Pat. What you suggested is a good idea. Never thought of doing that.

Thanks again.

Perk
04-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Is your PDA a Compaq H3835?

Glohamar
04-06-2005, 11:28 PM
It's a 3950.