View Full Version : i just bought the cingular sx66

masterchief
04-04-2005, 08:39 PM
im new to the pocket pc world,i trade in my treo 650 for the sx66.i hope i made a wise move by doning that.with this phone is surfing the web with interent explorer the same as my home computer with xp.how is the screen on the device,is it clear enough to watch movies on.and the size of the unit is big i know but is it a problem carring it on my side,i did have a blackberry once and it was big.if someone could tell me more about the sx66 that would be great,thanks

Hrun
04-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Would it maybe have been better to ask the questions before you parted with your money?

Anyway I will try to answer your questions and hope I don't disappoint you.

1. No, surfing the internet is not the same due to the respective due to the relative screen sizes (unless you have a 3" screen at home). I find I am drawn to PDA optimised sites to save the scrolling. Try www.pocketpcthoughts.com/mobile I think that is right. You will need to subscribe to read the forums, well worth it.

2. Yes the screen is enough to watch movies (at least on my rx3715)

3. Only you can decide if it is to big to carry by your side

4. Sorry, I have an Ipaq rx3715 so someone else will have to tell you about your new toy (important business tool)

HTH and hope you are happy with it as it is now yours

Giles

PS Welcome to PPC Thoughts

Pat Logsdon
04-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Welcome, masterchief! As Hrun mentioned, surfing is not as comfortable as it is on a desktop. That said, it's certainly easy enough, especially if you use mobile versions of sites, such as gmail.wiggster.com and the mobile version of this and other ThoughtsMedia (http://www.thoughtsmedia.com/)sites. You can also use the (free) Skweezer (http://www.skweezer.net/)service to view regular, non-formatted sites - Skweezer acts as a proxy and will reformat any page to fit the small screen of your device. You may also want to look into BitStream's ThunderHawk browser. (http://www.bitstream.com/wireless/products/pocketpc/index.html) It's a bit steep at $50 per year, but it will also reformat any web page to fit your screen.

As far as the size goes, I typically wear my PDA2k (same as the sx66) on my belt, and I don't have any problems. I've started carrying it in my pants pocket from time to time, and that's fine as well.

I'm fairly certain you'll like your new device - it's a fantastic gadget! :D

masterchief
04-04-2005, 11:26 PM
so can i surf the same pages on the sx66 as i can home my home computer,also can i click on say weather.com rader map and see it in motion.thanks alot for your post.

MitchellO
04-05-2005, 12:11 AM
I surf the web often on my Mini and it isn't too bad, but no way as nice as on a PC (my 15.4" 1680x1050 laptop blows it away!!). It will be the same on your SX66 (same res screen).

I watch movies on my device and they look great. Yours has a bigger screen (3.5 compared to my 2.8") so it won't be as sharp but will be bigger.