View Full Version : can't connect to wifi

Ian Grier
04-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi there,
I have an iPAQ 5550. It works fine on Bluetooth via my cell phone for e-mail and internet explorer - no problem.
The problem is that it connects to wireless networks fine, but I can't do any thing with it! I can't get onto Internet Explorer. It says "the page you are looking for cannot be found".
Can anyone help? Do I have to alter all the settings if I switch from Bluetooth on my cell phone to wireless? Surely the two can run in parallel and all I have to do is switch one off?
Cheers.

Ratel10mm
04-04-2005, 05:24 PM
I often have the same problem with my 5555, and no idea why it happens. (And that's without running the BT module, which I've only used once or twice.) I have the keys to the wifi hub at work, but although I can connect, most times I can't get through! :evil: And I can seldom get through hubs that I find 'out & about'. It's really frustrating not knowing if it's my equipment, or if there's something I need to be doing!
Ian, sorry I can't help, but hopefully someone here will set us straight! :oops:

Ian Grier
04-04-2005, 05:27 PM
I suppose it's a little comfort that someone out there has the same problem; cheers!

Ratel10mm
04-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Ian, I tried to connect to a mate's WEP protected network at the weekend. Although he gave me the key, I couldn't get in until he gave his router authorisation by adding my MAC to his list of acceptables. As far as I know (Which admittedly isn't much yet) you don't need to be on the friendly list of the router if it's open, but I wonder if it's something like this that's causing our problems? I haven't had time to do much research on the web yet, but from the lack of response from our friends here, I suspect that we've overlooked something so simple that we'll kick ourselves when we find it! (That's not meant as a dig to our more learned forumites! :werenotworthy: I figure it's something that newbies have been told till you're blue in the face, and I just haven't found it...yet. :wink: )

Cybrid
04-12-2005, 11:45 PM
On the jump from PPC2002 to WM2003, Microsoft in all it's wisdom created connection manager with Zero Wireless Configuration
A.K.A. "connection mangler" with zero wireless configuration.

The idea was to let software automatically jump from one internet connection to the other without user input/ knowledge. Unfortunately it doesn't work as advertised.
One of the reasons I personally didn't move to an 2003se device until now. I still have my 2002 X5. Just learning to be patient with the totally hosed new setup, in 2003se.

What is happening is that since you used BT. When you are attempting to connect it goes to the last known useable internet configuration (BT).
It has to be told to switch to WiFi. How, I don't know yet. but it is driving me crazy every once in a while too.

I hope someone who knows will be able to help in the meantime. I'll do some experimenting and get back when I have time.

phs
05-03-2005, 05:01 AM
I have an iPaq 2210 that I used to use a cheap Meritline CF wi-fi card with. The Wi-Fi card did not come with it's own connection utility, just drivers. I had the same problems as you. Connection Manager says I'm already connected, but for the life of me PIE won't go to the hotspot's log in page!

I recently purchased a C-Guys SD Wi-Fi card that came with it's own connection utility. When the SD Wi-Fi card is inserted, the connection utility automatically launches, and the PocketPC's connection manager is disabled. (When I click on Connections>>Advanced Tab, connection manager says that the Wi-Fi card is not inserted, and that's a good thing!) Now I don't have anymore trouble switching between bluetooth at home and wi-fi at work. (I use a bluetooth dial-up modem at home.)

I suppose what will work for you is a third party connection manager. I used to use Cirond Pocket WinC. Although it doesn't disable PocketPC's connection manager, it may be worth a try.

Cybrid
05-14-2005, 02:52 AM
Ok. Re connection manager....a tutorial by Sooner Al!
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection_Manager/ConnectionManager.html
And for a basic explanation of WiFi.
http://www.vancouverpocketpc.com/a_guide_to_wifi.htm by me! :D