View Full Version : A true desktop companion?

koriel
04-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Just been working my way through some of my old PC games and I was wondering if anybody knew of a desktop game or similar that can use a cradled PPC as a supplementary display. I was especially struck by how cool it would be to have it working as a fake GPS system in games such as Operation Flashpoint, Ghost Recon, Battlefield 1942 etc, where it could let you set waypoint etc. without taking your full attention away from the action.

If there isn't such a system, are there any game developers out there who would be willing to do me one? :wink:

What do the rest of you think? Would this be something that you would like to see implemented (obviously it doesn't have to be limited to games, but it does seem to fit that niche particularly well)? After all if it was good enough for the Nintendo DS, why not for my PC? :D

Jason Dunn
04-02-2005, 05:52 PM
That's a very cool idea! I haven't heard of any games that take advantage of it - likely because there aren't enough of any one device out there. Palm, Pocket PC, Symbian, PSP, you name it. All have different ways of interfacing with a desktop computer - so which platform would a developer target? I think that's why we haven't seen anything like this, and likely won't for some time. It might be cool to have a laptop as a secondary interface though...

koriel
04-03-2005, 04:04 PM
You could always do a Java client and make connections using TCP/IP (not sure if Palm-based PDAs connect using this or not though!). That should let you target most platforms with the minimum of fuss.

Perk
04-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Wow, I LOVE this idea!

This is something to look for. A true gaming accessory to give you the next edge over the mases of on-line gamers.

:wink: