View Full Version : All He Needs is the Air that He Breathes....and a Pocket PC

Jonathon Watkins
03-31-2005, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archives/Apr05/replacedesktop.aspx' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_archive...acedesktop.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Ever since I first became involved with Pocket PCs in early 2000, I've wondered if it's possible to totally replace a desktop PC with one of these powerful little handhelds. . . . Until quite recently, I've never felt that I could effectively complete all my work-related tasks on a Pocket PC. My opinion changed when I acquired a new Dell Axim X50v. . . . The latest version of the software is more capable and the newer devices have a variety of improvements, including VGA screens, faster processors, more built-in storage capacity, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless connectivity, and more. I decided that it was time to see just how capable these new devices are. For five days I'd rely almost entirely on the new Axim X50v and a few accessories to do everything associated with my job."</i> <br /><br />So how did Don Sorcinelli from Pocket PC Mag get on during his five days? Very well actually. There were very few things that his X50v couldn't do. The question was mainly one of appropriateness. You *could* replace your desktop with a Pocket PC, though of course there are many things you could more easily do with a desktop's greater screen size and performance. In the end, the greater range and complexity of mobile digital devices means that you can chose the right tool for the job, to suit your personal working style, i.e. there's a Pocket PC that's right for you out there somethere. (Just don't ask about the gadget budget :wink:)

MitchellO
03-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Ever since I got my PDA with WiFi I used it HEAPs more because of the versitility and ability to view websites or chat on MSN sitting anywhere in my house, without my 15.4" wide laptop.

With my Mini, I have GPRS all the time, so email and MSN is just a few taps away. If I had a keyboard, I could probably do away with my laptop for 80% of the time. I think I would have to get a VGA device with the vga hack to go without it though.

ctmagnus
03-31-2005, 02:47 AM
I agree. However, connectivity (preferably Wifi) is a biggie. If you are in an area with no connectivity, the usablilty of the device drops severely, imo.

welovejesus
03-31-2005, 05:49 AM
The Pocket PC has almost replaced my laptop except for a few things:
Web browsing &amp; JavaScript problems (like Don Sorcinelli commented on)
Web browser speed (probably easily overcome by upgrading the current Axim X5 Basic to the Axim X50v)
True VGA capablility for spreadsheets and other detailed-perspective view intensive applications
And the ability to print diagrams (PocketDraw (http://www.pocketdraw.com/index.html)) and project files (Gannt view with programs like PocketPlan (http://www.twiddlebit.com/pocketplan.htm) (native support from the developers would be appreciated :D )
The author had difficulty printing certain file types on day 4 of his experience. The problem could be easily solved with ClearVue Suite (http://www.westtek.com/pocketpc/suite/Default.htm) in conjunction with Jetcet Print (http://www.westtek.com/pocketpc/jetcet/Default.htm). ClearVue Suite prints PDFs, XLS, and doc files easily on my Canon i70 printer. ClearVue Suite also allows PowerPoint files to be viewed (http://www.westtek.com/pocketpc/presentation/Default.htm) in their native format!

heliod
03-31-2005, 06:42 AM
I have done this in February and posted an article on it (sorry, in Hebrew) at PocketPCFreak.com .

I went for a five-day conference abroad carrying with me my PDA2k, a Freedom BT Keyboard, a Netgear Mobile Router (which was not used) and my GPS receiver.

To make things short, I was amazed on how easy it was to do everything I wanted without the notebook. I just did not need it.

I've only found problems in two fields:

1. A problem with updating my site in Hebrew via the web due to a bug in the Hebrew support that would suppress &lt;CR>&lt;LF> and make everything a big blog of text. I overcame it by inserting BR tags on the text.

2. A problem to update Word and Excel files received by email when they were in Hebrew; unfortunately TextMaker and PlanMaker don't deal well with right-to-left languages. For this one there is no solution. I can see the documents with Clearvue, but there is no tool for updating. So I would send my propositions of change in an English document for the sender to do the changes himself.

All the rest was completely clean. I could do all my work with no problem. And the Freedom Keyboard is a MUST in this case.

Kowalski
03-31-2005, 07:13 AM
i've never think that a pda would replace my desktop because i am a developer and my desktop is running visual studio .net which wont fit on a xga resolution device eighter.

anyway, other than visual studio i need some equipment for my pda to replace my desktop:
a foldable BT keyboard
a solid state storage card with several gigs of space for my favorite tunes
gprs module with EDGE support or coupled with an EDGE support mobile phone

Underwater Mike
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
I've done this for the past few years when traveling, using my trusty X5 (WM2003) and Dell keyboard. Doing it without VGA a bit problematic IMO, but it's a lot easier than lugging around seven pounds of notebook PC. If there was ever an 800x600 "almost-pocket" Win Mobile device, my troubles would be solved. I never carry my Axim in my pocket anyway!

Jason Lee
03-31-2005, 04:19 PM
I use my desktop and laptop to play games, watch/record tv, and archive data to usb external HD. Almost every think else i do from my pocket pc. Hopping around between 3 computers i just find it easier to work from and carry my data on the device i am gonna have with me all the time. I will often sit infront of my desktop and send out an email from my pocket pc. My most up to date addressbook is on my ppc.
Those few times i needed to do something out there that i could not do from a pocket pc i use terminal services and connect to my pc at work or one of the servers. It is a little troublesome but it gets the job done in a pinch.

Not to long ago my desktop at work got hacked thought that last big php hole. I just rebuilt it, it was easier. With all the other stuff i had to do at work my ppc was my only computer at work for 2 days. Which really isn't a big deal becase i usually do eveything at work on my ppc anyway. User support people are on the move too much. :) At leaset when you have buildings all over campus and downtown to support. ;)

It will never be a total replacement and i don't think i would want it to be but it is, in all honesty, my primary computer. I use it for more and more often than any other computer i have access to.

Don Sorcinelli
03-31-2005, 08:30 PM
First, it was the cover title to this story:
The Great Pocket PC Experiment: Man Survives 5 DAYS with No Desktop!

Then, Jonathan leads the story with a Hollies song title that hits me like a bad flashback.

Man, I've gotta stop writing articles... :D

Seriously, though - good to see all of the discussion surrounding the topic. As I mentioned in the article (and others have brought up), how much you can get away with using the Pocket PC as a desktop replacement in a workplace really boils down to what you have to on a daily basis. I, too, am a developer (for part of my job role). No way I can replace my desktop here. As an information worker, though, it is amazing how much I can accomplish with today's technologies.

DonS

disconnected
03-31-2005, 09:06 PM
I use a desktop at work (no travel or any kind of mobility needed), but for personal use I have desktop, laptop, and PDA (iPAQ 4700).

I really only use the laptop when I travel, and then mostly for web browsing. For short trips I just take the iPAQ. I could easily use a PPC for almost all travel if the browser were improved. I can manage with the small screen (although some sort of larger fold-out screen would be great), but it takes quite a long time for screen rendering, even with a fast connection, and it's very frustrating to find websites that Pocket IE can't cope with. Also many hotels with ethernet or wireless access have sign-up screens that don't work on a PPC right now.

Jonathon Watkins
04-05-2005, 02:30 PM
First, it was the cover title to this story:
The Great Pocket PC Experiment: Man Survives 5 DAYS with No Desktop!

Then, Jonathan leads the story with a Hollies song title that hits me like a bad flashback.

All part of the service. :wink:

Man, I've gotta stop writing articles... :D

Nah. Keep up the good work. :way to go: