View Full Version : POP3 access via WAP

Kami
03-29-2005, 03:55 PM
I have a Sony Ericsson and an iPAQ 2210. I have been connecting the two via bluetooth and paying the obsene costs to access my email through the GPRS network.

I don't know anything about WAP, but I understand you can use any WAP enabled phone to access your pop3 email as well.

Here is my question. Is there a difference between GPRS and WAP? Technically and costwise? If they are different and WAP is cheaper ... is it possible to use the WAP technology to access my email from the PDA? Or would I be better off just reading the mail on my phone?

Thanks for the help!

Deemo
03-29-2005, 05:09 PM
I don't see why you have been paying "obsene" costs to access your email.
If this due to a high cost data plan or hve you been bringing in tonnes of mail with large attachments?

You can use wap enabled phone to access email - depending on your provider - but my experience is that it is excruciatingly slow and as a result can be quite costly.

I think you would be better off using your pda but possibly changing the way you access your email:
1. Don't download attachments
2. Set up an account to just get email you need and avoid filling out internet forms to avoid spam.
3. Retrieve the email or just headers and then get the heck off - time is money.
You can't use WAP to access emails on the PDA - it is only a technology for the phone.
GPRS is strictly a data connection.

Kami
03-30-2005, 02:08 AM
I don't see why you have been paying "obsene" costs to access your email.
If this due to a high cost data plan or hve you been bringing in tonnes of mail with large attachments?

This is due to the high cost data plan. I want to explore all of my possibilities prior to subscribing something different.

Thanks for the advise.