View Full Version : Arstechnica Discuss Google's Mobile Search Features

Jonathon Watkins
03-29-2005, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050313-4696.html' target='_blank'>http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...50313-4696.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"This weekend Google quietly launched a page explaining all of their mobile search features at mobile.google.com. Anyone who has gone to <a href="www.google.com">www.google.com</a> on their cell phone or portable device in recent times might have noticed that you were being shown a different user-interface than when you were using a normal browser. That's because google has been forwarding mobile devices to a WML gateway to make using Google on your phone/PDA a more pleasurable experience. . . . Finally, and probably the neatest (and most controversial) feature of Google's mobile search is that it passes the sites you visit via their mobile search through a proxy. This is important because it converts and strips down the page's source into something more easily digestible by devices with limited bandwidth and limited processing power."</i><br /><br />Arstechnica provocatively ask if Google's Mobile Search is your friend or foe. The main argument is that Google is taking a publisher's content and modifying it to suit Google's needs. Is this something to be avoided, or don't you mind, as long as you can get fast and accurate search results straight to your Pocket PC?

beq
03-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Hmm, so is Google doing some of the same things as other optimizing proxies like Skweezer and the ThunderHawk proxy?

AggieJon
03-29-2005, 02:48 AM
While I think this is overall a helpful feature, I can see how web developers would not like it. I'm sure that a lot of pages lose the look that the developer originally intended.

I haven't used this much, though. I'm curious, does Google give us the option of going to the original, unformatted site? If the page already has a built-in mobile version (like PPCT) does Google send mobile users to the mobile version or a Google formatted version of the original?