View Full Version : New to PPC

pastorluke
03-26-2005, 02:49 AM
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what features, hardware, or software exists for an HP iPAQ rx3115 that could be used in an office setting where other people have the same model. In other words, what productivity "stuff" is out there other than pocket word and excel?

Thanks

JD Silver
03-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Welcome!

I use Planmaker as a better substitute for Pocket Excel. It implements almost all of the features of the PC version of Excel, and accepts PC Excel versions of the files. For text editing, I use Textmaker (from the same company) which is a MUCH better replacement to Pocket Word.

I also use Access databases from time to time, and there is not a built in application with the OS. SprintDB Pro is my choice for databases...it has a very powerful programming langauge, customizable forms, and can update Access databases on your PC whenever you sync.

I read a lot of ebooks using Mobipocket. It is much faster and more versatile than MS Reader, and the Pro version allows you to use it as a document viewer for web pages etc.

For internet, nothing beats Thunderhawk! I have a Pocket PC Phone Edition, and Thunderhawk allows me to cruise the web quickly and with far better formatting than Pocket Internet Explorer. Thunderhawk is actually a service costing about 5.99 (US) per month, and it makes browsing a pleasure on a Pocket PC. Using Pocket Internet Explorer, on the other hand, makes browsing pure torture.

Today plugins allow you to view a quick summary on your Today screen. I use SPB Pocket Plus, and SPB Pocket Weather, to provide easy access to applications and controls, the weather reports, a real close button, power meter, and much more. Pocket Breeze provides an excellent summary of my calendar, contacts and tasks on the Today screen.

I've saved the best for last. Pocket Informant is a replacement to Pocket Outlook. It is an incredible product and I only wish I could replace MS Outlook on my PC with this product! There an incredible array of features, and you can customize it to you hearts delight. It is the first app I install on a new device.

Have Fun!