View Full Version : My ppc just quit

JVL
03-24-2005, 09:06 PM
I have a Ipaq 2215.
The screen just quit responding to the stylus taps.
I have done a hard reset and still no change.
Please help..

Darius Wey
03-25-2005, 02:26 AM
Does the same problem occur whilst the Pocket PC is connected to the AC?

JVL
03-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Thank you for the reply,
Yes it does.
When I put it in the cradle it does syncronize and lights up, but it does not respond to taps.
After doing the hard reset, it will light up and got to the first sreen where it tells you "Tap the screen to set up your pocket PC".
But then nothing...

Darius Wey
03-25-2005, 12:13 PM
It's hard to say what the problem is. You haven't dropped your Pocket PC recently, have you?

You can try removing the battery and letting it drain overnight or during the day. Once you've done that, put the battery back in and see if the problem still exists. If it still does, it may be time to contact HP. :|

JVL
03-25-2005, 04:07 PM
No, its never been dropped.
I took the battery out yesterday for about 1/2 hour but it didnt make any difference.

Sven Johannsen
03-25-2005, 05:24 PM
I took the battery out yesterday for about 1/2 hour but it didnt make any difference.

You do need to do that overnight, or a relatively considerable amount of time. There can be a significant amount of latent charge in the internal backup battery. Not enough to keep your info, but enough to possibly maintain a problem. I can confirm this from personal experience on a 4155. The screen just went nuts one time. Not totally dead, but marginally responsive, misaligned, hard to align, etc. Short battery removals did nothing. Overnight took care of it.

If it doesn't of course, it then becomes a matter of whether it is under warranty still, and if not, what you want to spend on it.

cml
03-26-2005, 12:15 AM
I had this same problem several times on my 2215. I could usually fix it with a soft reset, but once that didn't fix it. In deperation, I ejected all my storage cards, and re-synced (no particular reason, but I didn't want to hard reset, and that was about all I could do with no touch screen) and it worked!! I doubt if that will be any help, but you can try it....

JVL
03-28-2005, 10:55 PM
OK,, so here's the latest,
I contacted HP and they sent me a box to ship my unit in for repair.
I filled out the papers and just before I put my unit in the box, I thought I better take the screen protector off so it wouldnt get lost.
Then as I was putting it in the box, I thought "what the hell", so I turned on the unit one more time.
This time it came to life and everything appears to be working just fine.
I reloaded all my info and its working as thogh nothing ever happened.
I know this might seem a little far out, but do you suppose that the screen protector could have been the culprit?
That maybe that extra layer of plastic is enough to cause a touch screen sensitivity problem?
Thanks to all of you for your help.

Darius Wey
03-29-2005, 01:56 AM
I know this might seem a little far out, but do you suppose that the screen protector could have been the culprit? That maybe that extra layer of plastic is enough to cause a touch screen sensitivity problem? Thanks to all of you for your help.

Maybe it was just one of those days, because this is a rare occurrence, and I've certainly never heard of a screen protector causing problems. Just out of interest, what make of screen protector is this?

JVL
03-29-2005, 01:15 PM
its a "crystal" something or other.
Its the one that most of the people here rave about, so I bought one about 6 months ago and put it on.
Dont get me wrong, Ive been very happy with it, and it does a great job of protecting the screen.
The only thing I did was take it off last week and washed it and put it back on.
Yes it was perfectly dry when i reapplied it.

yankeejeep
03-29-2005, 02:59 PM
It sounds as though the screen protector was positioned in a way that was creating pressure on the screen, which the digitizer interpretted as input. This would have definitely locked out your stylus input. It cound be that the protector positioning wasn't right and it was creating pressure under one of the screen edges. Or, something may have been on the screen when you put it back on and that had gotten pushed under one of the edges, creating a pressure point. Just drives home how important it is to have a newly-cleaned screen when applying (or reapplying) a protector so there is nothing that could get jammed under the screen edges. Digitizers are wonderful but dumb; they can't tell the difference between a stylus and some annoying dust.