View Full Version : How many of you are getting a PSP? (Also my thoughts on it)

marcm
03-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey everyone! I'm getting my PSP this thursday, and I wanted to know if anyone else on the forum is. And no, it will not replace my PPC! EVER!!! :D

Anyways, I also have some thoughts I'd like to share about the PSP. It seems to be a great marketing idea (for Sony) to be advertising it as "the walkman of the future" since it truly is. A few movie companies (I forget which ones) also are going to support the UMD format on their new (and possibly older) releases. You can bet that Sony Pictures will too. One fairly large thing I noticed though, is that this might increase the popularity of the Memory Stick Duo (will be further referenced to as MSD) as it is the only form of memory card for the PSP (unless someone manages to mod their PSP for SD [i wish... :wink:]) I thought of it this way: if they sell say 1 million PSPs, the customers will also have to buy a MSD, unless they already own one, so they would sell maybe 900,000 of them. This could make the MS popular, IMO. (But I will never totally switch to MS.) I think the PSP will be a great success, since it is the best handheld gaming device so far, will play movies, MP3s, etc. What do you think?

Fishie
03-23-2005, 02:48 AM
"the walkman of the future"

No its not.

Too big, heavy and fragile for that.
Look at the name WALKMAN, see there is a little word in there and that word is WALK.
You dont watch movies while WALKING.
For music its too big, baterylife is too short and requires an aditional investment.

Mighty fine portabnle gaming console though.

ChristopherTD
03-23-2005, 05:58 AM
The PSP sure looks sweet, but there aren't any compelling games for it that would make me want to buy it. Movies on the go have no interest to me.

The Nintendo DS is one ugly beast, but the touch screen and microphone have already been used to good effect in several titles. For me it is likely to take mobile gaming somewhere interesting. The wealth of really solid RPG/strategy titles for the GBA that it can play are a bonus. I have replaced my iPaq 5505 and Motorola V500 with a iMate Jam, so that I can carry one less device now that the DS travels with me too!

There is no denying the looks of the PSP though and I wish the PSP, DS and Gizmondo well - mobile gaming is growing up!

dean_shan
03-23-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't think I'll be buying a PSP. I've always been a Nintendo fanboy and I already have DS. Yes the DS might not styling of the PSP but the gameplay on it is amazing. Super Mario 64 plays even better on the DS then it did on the 64. Once Mario Kart comes out for it the DS will be rockin'.

q-live
04-05-2005, 12:44 AM
i prob will get one but off of ebay where i can at least get 50 off of a new one/unopen out of the box like my friend did :D :lol:

T-Will
04-06-2005, 12:09 AM
I picked one up...it's AWESOME as a gaming machine. I loaded a couple MP3, some pictures, and a movie clip onto it, but would NEVER use it as an MP3 player. It's WAY to big to carry around and use like that.

The screen is awesome, best that I've seen in any handheld device, it really makes the pictures and movies look great, but I don't really plan on using it for that much.

It really shines in the gaming department, the graphics are almost up to par with PS2 and the screen is great for gaming. The controls are decent, but I'd slightly move some of the buttons around. Mainly, I'd move the directional buttons up towards the top of the face a little more. Other than that it's great! Definitely worth the money!

Craig Horlacher
04-06-2005, 03:18 AM
I got the psp Sunday, two day's ago. It's amazing! You've got to experience it to believe it. It blue me away. Nobody has ever touched this thing in mobile gaming.

Mine came with Twisted Metal and NBA - Costco bundle for $320. I also bought Lumenes and Wipeout Pure since a friend has though. The multiplayer gaming works great! You can even play Twisted Metal over the internet via a server sony has setup. It's quick and easy to do and works great! I'm loving it! I just wish I had more time to play.

If you like moblie gaming buy this device!

Jon Westfall
04-06-2005, 04:18 AM
I'm not really a big games person (Although I'm eagerly awaiting the PC release of GTA: San Andreas this summer). The place that I truely like this machine at is in the marketing / cost side of it. Initially when I saw it, I mentally settled on a pricepoint that would make it work, and was only off by a few $. Kudos to Sony for knowing how to market this thing (i.e. Gaming + more) and the right price to sell it ($250 - 300 range). For its capabilities, it fits quite nicely in that slot.

Not too thrilled about the new proprietary UMD format though, but heck, its Sony, what can you expect?

T-Will
04-06-2005, 05:04 AM
Not too thrilled about the new proprietary UMD format though, but heck, its Sony, what can you expect?

You gotta remember, Gameboys also use a proprietary format for games. I guess the difference is that Sony is putting movies on UMD, so it won't be used for games only.