View Full Version : HP iPAQ H63xx in Australia - What are the options? Is it worth it?

cluqduck
03-22-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi all..

I'm currently debating whether or not to take the plunge and pick up an HP iPAQ H6365 (P/N: FA239A). I work for a reseller so I can get them at a reasonable price.

There seems to be an absolute mountain of religious debate about these things, but I can't work out whether or not the issues are with the telco T-Mobile or the devices themselves.

To be honest, I haven't even looked at the options for using one of these things in Australia. Are they typically telco neutral? I am with Vodafone and given my gutwrenching hatred for Telstra and Optus, I am reluctant to change.

I would actually prefer it without the camera but from what I can tell, the upcoming iPAQ phone model(s) with no camera are a way off yet.

Are there other, non-HP options? I don't particularly like the O2 products. I reckon they look and feel 'cheap'.

Any advice, anecdotes, RTFMs, pointers to other threads etc. are greatly appreciated. cheers!

Darius Wey
03-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Are there other, non-HP options? I don't particularly like the O2 products. I reckon they look and feel 'cheap'.

I'd recommend the i-mate range - either the JAM or the PDA2K. Although you stated that you don't particularly like O2? Is that just the O2 range, or the O2 class of product. i-mate and O2 have the same model, just with different brandings.

cuteseal
03-22-2005, 11:02 AM
I've got one, and have this advice for you -- stay well away. Save your money for the iPaq messenger due out soon, or maybe get a 4150 and pocket the change.

Just do a search through these forums or on pdaphonehome.com for "h6315" to see the horror stories.

I get a hefty discount too, and I must say, if it weren't for that, I would have returned it a long time ago and gone for an O2.

cluqduck
03-23-2005, 03:31 AM

I'd recommend the i-mate range - either the JAM or the PDA2K. Although you stated that you don't particularly like O2? Is that just the O2 range, or the O2 class of product. i-mate and O2 have the same model, just with different brandings.Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out. Who distributes the i-mate stuff in Australia?

I have only seen the O2 xda and xdaII products so that's what I base my opinion on. Just not quite as 'sleek' as the iPaq.

I don't fully understand your comment about i-mate and O2 having the same model. From my limited research, I think 'Carrier Devices' makes i-mate stuff. Are they somehow related to O2?

cheers.

cluqduck
04-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Just following up my own post to tidy up this thread.

Most of you will already know this, but..

'Carrier Devices' develops the devices but they are branded and marketed completely separately as 'O2' and 'i-Mate'.

As for distributors, O2 stuff can be had from Tech Pacific. i-Mate stuff can be had from eXpansys and Cellnet. That is not an exhaustive list.

I've decided to give the H6365 a miss, so my decision now is whether to go for an xdaII/PDA2K or to wait for the HP Mobile Messenger (but I wanted 802.11..)

cheers

Darius Wey
04-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Just following up my own post to tidy up this thread.

Most of you will already know this, but..

'Carrier Devices' develops the devices but they are branded and marketed completely separately as 'O2' and 'i-Mate'.

As for distributors, O2 stuff can be had from Tech Pacific. i-Mate stuff can be had from eXpansys and Cellnet. That is not an exhaustive list.

I've decided to give the H6365 a miss, so my decision now is whether to go for an xdaII/PDA2K or to wait for the HP Mobile Messenger (but I wanted 802.11..)

cheers

Sorry for not replying earlier. I hadn't even realised you replied. :(

Anyway, it seems as though you've answered your own question, but you may want to check out Telstra who are particularly fond of the i-mate brand. They can be a tad pricey, but if you package it in a plan, you may end up getting it at a discounted price.