View Full Version : Necessary Nomenclature, or Pedantic Semantics?

Jonathon Watkins
03-21-2005, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.whatisnew.com/dailynews/showthread.php?p=7902#post7902' target='_blank'>http://www.whatisnew.com/dailynews/...p=7902#post7902</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Fifteen years ago we called the smaller, portable computers that were going to market "laptops." Then, companies moved away from laptop because people were setting these PCs on their laps and getting burned from the heat. Notebook became the prefered name. . . . Today "mobile PC" is picking up momentum. It is a class that references notebooks, Tablet PCs, and touch screen PCs. It also separates these fully functional PCs from mobile devices, such as Pocket PCs and Smartphones. Mobile PC is also a temporary category. It serves our purposes today, but it should not be a name for tomorrows PCs, whatever their characteristics."</i><br /><br />Lora Heiny has posted her thoughts about device nomenclature at WhatIsNew.com. The way a device is named affects our perception of it and can influence how we use it. Lora argues that PCs will continue to diversify and that the ability to "take it with you" will become just another feature, so we should not be calling future devices "Mobile PCs". Of course today we have Pocket PCs and Windows Mobile devices. What are your thoughts on the impact and influence of what the device classes are named and what do you think we should call them?

Damion Chaplin
03-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Am I the only one who's never heard the term 'mobile PC' before?

Most people I know, computer literate or not, still refer to it as a 'laptop'.

Worse, when a new term is introduced, the non-computer literate take it to mean a new device, not just a new name for an old device. For example, a couple months ago I caught a coworker explaining to another coworker the difference between a 'laptop' and a 'notebook'. They actually had a number of 'differences' that they used to define the two different words ("Laptop is a desktop computer meant to be used in smaller places. Notebooks are supposed to be carried with you everywhere"). :roll: I had to politely correct them.

Most people aren't even aware that there's a difference between a Palm and a Windows Mobile unit. People think everything that fits in your palm must be a 'Palm Pilot', and that 'Pocket PC' means 'Pocket Personal Computer' (in other words, it includes the Palm devices).

So really changing an item's name every 2-3 years is just silly as far as the rest of the world is concerned. We might as well call them 'small' 'medium' and 'large' PCs for all that the rest of the world cares. In fact, my mother often tells people that I just need a computer 'in every size', not getting that there are actual reasons why one might need a desktop, laptop, tablet and pocket PC...

SteveHoward999
03-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Am I the only one who's never heard the term 'mobile PC' before?

Most people I know, computer literate or not, still refer to it as a 'laptop'.

My thoughts exactly. Guess she lives in a different world - Like LA or something :devilboy:

Rob Alexander
03-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Yeah, everyone I know calls them laptops and they couldn't care less if the people in the computer press decide to use a different name. If there's a less important issue currently being debated somewhere in the world, I can't imagine what it is.

MasterOfMoo
03-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm not particularly ruffled when people start throwing out new names for the same equipment. I've heard too many variations over the years, so I just take it as commonplace. Although I do occassionally throw in corrections if I hear glaring mistakes when others are trying to identify/specify different systems.

As for actual product branding, however, it still drives me insane (OK, not a medically valid diagnosis, but still pretty ticked off) every time someone refers to my Pocket PC as a Palm Pilot !!! :bad-words:

gorkon280
03-22-2005, 03:15 PM
Pendantic device nomenclature politics. That's stupid. Call it what you want to, doesn't mean that's what everyone else will call it. We do we call a Oqo a handtop or a Micro PC?? Does it matter? Do I care?

Jonathon Watkins
03-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Does it matter? Do I care?

Obviously, as you posted on it. :wink:

gorkon280
03-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Does it matter? Do I care?

Obviously, as you posted on it. :wink:

Well, I don't really I am just bored.....naw... :D Anyway, I am one that thinks once a name has been accepted, then the only reason to try and change the name is entirely political. That's just like the freaks at work that try to change the department name because IT Support Center sounds better then the Help Desk. Human Resources instead of Personell. Sometimes name changes can be successful but most are not needed unless their purpose changes.