View Full Version : HP BT Headphones starting to act up!

shawnc
03-21-2005, 03:28 PM
I've had my BT headphones since Xmas and absolutely love them (minus the lack of adjustibility). However, the last two time I've used them (both times getting a run on the treadmill) I've lost my BT connection. Not knowing much about BT (alright, not knowing ANYTHING about BT) I was wondering whether this is something where the performance degrades over time? Is there something I should be doing to maintain performance? Or is it possible that these things just suck :evil: ?

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Jason Dunn
03-21-2005, 05:49 PM
BT definitely isn't something that changes over time, and unless you've changed something in your setup (Pocket PC with new ROM update and Bluetooth stack), I don't think it should just stop working. But the fact that it's happened to you twice on the treadmill reminded me of something...

This might sound strange, and please someone with a scientific background feel free to blow holes in this theory, but there's a chance it might be the treadmill causing interference. The reason why I say that is because last year I was having all sorts of trouble with my RF-based wireless mouse and keyboard, and I realized after a few days that it was the cordless drills that were causing the problem. There's something about certain acoustic frequencies interfering with wireless frequencies. Bluetooth is supposed to hop 30 times a second to reduce interference, but perhaps you could try a test or two: put on the headphones and make sure they work, walk up to the treadmill and turn it on, then see what happens.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents. :-)

WyattEarp
03-21-2005, 07:13 PM
It's perfectly possible that is the case. My Bose radio interferes with my iPAQ if the iPAQ is laying on the radio. The iPAQ will begin to hum but nothing more and will only stop when moved off the radio.

It is also possible that it may be another device since you mentioned it only happended twice. But definately test it as Jason said.

applejosh
03-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Well, kind of along the same lines, but probably completely different, my dog's invisible fence collar would go off if I ran the vacuum cleaner. I guess the fan inside the vacuum cleaner generated a weak radio frequeny that was close to that of the collar, and if he got too close, he'd get zapped. My dog now goes and cowers in a corner every time I run the vacuum (even though I don't even use the invisible fence any more, and I made sure to take off the collar prior to vacuuming after witnessing this). Poor fella.

I also seem to recall that the furnace in my previous house would interfere with my wifi signal, but usually not enough to cause complete disruption (just an increase of "noise").

shawnc
03-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Guys,

Thanx for the tips. A couple points of note. No changes in ROM, BT stack, etc. These are the same treadmills I've used since Xmas with no problems at all. Also, the test process Jason suggests is my normal process when running. I usually establish a BT connection while stretching, then proceed to the treadmill with music playing (I may pause while I'm setting the treadmill). Deselect the pause on the headphones and I'm off and running. On Friday (the 1st time this happened) I lost the connection at the 20 minute mark. Today, at the 35 minute mark.

Weird!

surur
03-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Its possible with wear and tear the motor of your treadmill may have become more noisy.

Surur

Dalantech
03-22-2005, 08:50 AM
I agree -more testing needs to be done. Have you tried wearing the headphones around the house to see if they cut out?

shawnc
03-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Guys,

Thanx again for the help. A couple of additional points. I don't run on my personal treadmill (we use that as a clothes rack, but that's a whole different discussion with my wife :wink: ), I use the heavy-duty ones at our fitness center. It's possible that the noise level increased, but not likely. If memory serves, I was on two different ones when my BT cut out.

It sounds like the bottom line is that there is nothing I should be doing to maintain my BT, and that's welcome news. It could very well be that the headphones are just poorly made. There certainly has been enough folks complaining about the quality of the headsets. I don't know what type of testing I can do other than continue to use them when I run (I never use them when lifting or doing other exercises). It's just a drag because I hate running and to have my music cut off when I've got 3-4 miles remaining is really discouraging.

Oh well, thanx for the tips.

Jason Dunn
03-22-2005, 08:52 PM
One other possible solution: headphones with cables. :D

Sven Johannsen
03-22-2005, 09:21 PM
One other possible solution: headphones with cables. :D

Sacrilege. Go wash your hands. (I'd suggest washing your mouth out, but you typed this ;) )

P.S. if this is at the Gym there could have been some new motoras added and they do create a significant amount of RF interference. Could be air conditioning motors if the weather is getting warmer and they haven't needed them up to now. I'd say check the headsets for cutouts outside that environment to see if it's the place or the headsets. Electronic components do age but this is a bit soon for that. Ususally 'infant mortality', the failure of electronics after a very short period of use, happens a bit earlier than this, though it's not out of the question.