View Full Version : mysterious file left "unresolved" on activesync...

zilla31
03-21-2005, 02:55 PM
my activesync window is constantly showing one file (from the files section) as unresolved. no way to get rid of this. is there a log somewhere i can read to find out what file is causing this problem so i can delete/resolve it manually???

thanks!!

ps not a big problem just mildly annoying... and those are the worst kinds sometime :roll:

chasmanor
03-21-2005, 04:21 PM
You can open ActivSync, go to Options>Rules. Then, on Desktop dropdown, change it to Always replace the item on my device. Let it sync (item should resolve). Then change it back to Leave the item unresolved.

Menneisyys
03-21-2005, 04:38 PM
my activesync window is constantly showing one file (from the files section) as unresolved. no way to get rid of this. is there a log somewhere i can read to find out what file is causing this problem so i can delete/resolve it manually???

Unfortunately, the log file ( c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\wcesmgr.log ) doesn't contain the file name - it doesn't list the file name (the error log entry is a plain 'Failed to sync a [File, 0, 0x200000CF] object because of error 0x80140100').

However, in my experience, it's very easy to find out the cause for the error:

- a write-protected (read-only) file on the PDA. This causes a lot of headaches with the contents of Templates, which is, by default, read-only. If you see any file in your \My Documents (or its subdirectories) that is read-only, change its attributes to writable with, say, the local Resco File Explorer or, via the desktop, with the WinCE FS plug-in of Total Commander. It's the best to at once make the contents of \My Documents\Templates writable. In Total Commander, select all files, and choose Files/Change Attributes. Click Read Only and Hidden once so that their checkboxes are empty.

- file names containing a Unicode character. Just rename them.

Jason Dunn
03-21-2005, 07:20 PM
Solution: while your Pocket PC is connected, move all the files out of the flder on your DESKTOP computer. See if that solves it - then move the files back in, a few at a time, until you either find the problematic file or the error is magically gone (more likely).

ale_ers
03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
You can open ActivSync, go to Options>Rules. Then, on Desktop dropdown, change it to Always replace the item on my device. Let it sync (item should resolve). Then change it back to Leave the item unresolved.

Wow, thanks...that worked. I tried to find what was causing this on my PPC then just decided to live with it until I saw this.

Jason Dunn
03-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Glad I could help! This problem has been around forever, but no one has ever been able to figure out exactly WHY it happens...

dsp
03-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Apparently there is a bug with ActiveSync where it can report "unresolved items" when device resources are low. Were you running a lot of apps at the time you did the sync?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295001

zilla31
03-23-2005, 03:07 PM

Wow, thanks...that worked. I tried to find what was causing this on my PPC then just decided to live with it until I saw this.

ha i had been living w/ it too but this worked to "resolve" it for me too :) thanks peeps.