View Full Version : can a desktop pc being hacked through pocket pc wireless?

gcautaerts
03-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Hello

Let me explain my question:
At work we've got a wireless network (direct internet) seperated from company's LAN.

Now I want to connect my pocket pc to that wireless internet while pocket pc is connected to my desktop through activesync (USB).

Will it be possible to hack my desktop and so company's LAN through Ipaq's wireless connection?

greetz, Gunter

surur
03-21-2005, 12:18 PM
You are currently safe due to a number of reasons:

1) there are no current pocketpc worms or remotely exploitable vulnerabilities in the windows mobile OS.

2) there are only few services which could be vulnerable running on the pocketpc in any case

3) Your device is not the target of attention of the vast majority of hackers, which expect a windows XP machine.

4) Your device does not bridge the network between your LAN and wireless network in any case.

So in short you are quite protected.

However this can all change in the future e.g. some-one discovers a buffer overflow in pocket IE or active sync on your pocketpc. It downloads a worm, which then uses a separate network buffer overflow in the active sync service on your desktop, and loads a separate worm there. That would be a very sophisticated attack, but you will hear about it on pocketpcthoughts well before some-one attacks you. To further protect yourself you can use a firewall product for your pocketpc like the Airscanner mobile firewall http://www.airscanner.com/products.html which should make your protection airtight. Its freeware too.

Surur

gcautaerts
03-21-2005, 01:42 PM
thx Surur that's a clear answer!