View Full Version : windows mobile 2005

pas
03-19-2005, 05:47 AM
does anyone know when Windows Mobile 2005 is shipping?

i want to so badly buy a ipaq hx2750 to replace my aging palm m505 but i'm putting it off till WM2005 comes out.

any ideas, folks?

cmorris
03-19-2005, 05:55 AM
Found this interesting blog post:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/waterbaby/Blog/cns!1p8onyOGBY_N4a9_eT3OsBwA!239.entry

Looks like RTM in April so add another few months to get the kinks worked out on the devices themselves and I would expect August or so.

ADBrown
03-19-2005, 08:37 AM
does anyone know when Windows Mobile 2005 is shipping?

i want to so badly buy a ipaq hx2750 to replace my aging palm m505 but i'm putting it off till WM2005 comes out.

any ideas, folks?

Nobody really knows for sure, but generally Microsoft seems to prefer shortly before mid-year, around May-June or so, for new OS releases.

pas
03-20-2005, 01:23 AM
that long? damn.

how likely do you think hp will release an upgrade (even if you have to pay) to windows mobile 2005 for the hx2750?

cheers,

-ps

Darius Wey
03-20-2005, 02:52 AM
how likely do you think hp will release an upgrade (even if you have to pay) to windows mobile 2005 for the hx2750?

Questions like that generally can't be answered. In HP's last batch of devices, not a single one was offered an upgrade from WM2003 to WM2003SE, so there's no guarantee that the hx2750, or any other recent HP device will receive a ROM upgrade to a new OS. HP may once again stick by the policy of new device-new OS... But only time will tell.

pas
03-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Questions like that generally can't be answered. In HP's last batch of devices, not a single one was offered an upgrade from WM2003 to WM2003SE, so there's no guarantee that the hx2750, or any other recent HP device will receive a ROM upgrade to a new OS. HP may once again stick by the policy of new device-new OS... But only time will tell.

gotcha.

i heard hp offered upgrades from 2002 to 2003. maybe they didnt offer from 2003 to 2003SE because the naming of 2003 and 2003SE makes the OS look to your average joe blow consumer as nothing more than a minor upgrade thus HP didn't get alot of requests to provide an upgrade.

compare to the naming of 2002 and 2003 which would seem to that same user as a signficiant change, resulting in hp reciving more requests to provide an upgrade path.

that's my logic.

Darius Wey
03-21-2005, 02:59 AM
thus HP didn't get alot of requests to provide an upgrade.

Well actually, back then, the requests were phenomenal. A lot of people were complaining that HP (and most other manufacturers) didn't provide a software upgrade path from WM2003 to WM2003SE, and instead, only the new set of devices they released had WM2003SE. So the option was if you wanted to get a hold of the new OS, you had to purchase a new device with WM2003SE preinstalled on it, otherwise you had to stick with your current WM2003 device.

Consumers weren't happy so they started setting up petitions. Then others started seeing this as "cheap" tactics by the manufacturer, in forcing a consumer to pay more money just so they could get the latest software enhancements on their Pocket PC. Others were also saying that the manufacturers didn't really honour the consumer-manufacturer agreement in saying that most devices were flash upgradeable. A lot of people expected this to be a whole new OS flash upgrade, as the past would have proved, but instead, it proved nothing to be minor point upgrades to fix a few bugs here and there. No one really knew why this was the action taken, until HP released a statement saying that there were very few benefits gained in releasing a software upgrade for WM2003SE on their existing devices, and instead, they wanted to focus on delivering a better mobile experience with their new batch of devices. Of course, very few people believed them.

Consumer sentiment was at an all time low, so that is why a lot of people now dare not say whether or not a current-generation device will be given an upgrade path from WM2003SE to WM2005 and beyond. It's the kind of issue that most are willing to simply sit on the fence and hope that events unfold to their liking... Sad to say.

pas
03-21-2005, 04:20 AM
damn. very sad, indeed.

so in your professional opinion, when do you think we'll see WM2005?

Darius Wey
03-21-2005, 04:47 AM

*Shrugs*

A rather not-so-professional opinion, but that's about as much input as I can give. :lol:

pas
03-21-2005, 07:48 AM

*Shrugs*

A rather not-so-professional opinion, but that's about as much input as I can give. :lol:

hehe. i dont blame ya. it usually is a guessing game when it comes to microsoft releases.

surur
03-21-2005, 08:33 AM
thus HP didn't get alot of requests to provide an upgrade.

Well actually, back then, the requests were phenomenal. A lot of people were complaining that HP (and most other manufacturers) didn't provide a software upgrade path from WM2003 to WM2003SE, and instead, only the new set of devices they released had WM2003SE. So the option was if you wanted to get a hold of the new OS, you had to purchase a new device with WM2003SE preinstalled on it, otherwise you had to stick with your current WM2003 device.

Consumers weren't happy so they started setting up petitions. Then others started seeing this as "cheap" tactics by the manufacturer, in forcing a consumer to pay more money just so they could get the latest software enhancements on their Pocket PC. Others were also saying that the manufacturers didn't really honour the consumer-manufacturer agreement in saying that most devices were flash upgradeable. A lot of people expected this to be a whole new OS flash upgrade, as the past would have proved, but instead, it proved nothing to be minor point upgrades to fix a few bugs here and there. No one really knew why this was the action taken, until HP released a statement saying that there were very few benefits gained in releasing a software upgrade for WM2003SE on their existing devices, and instead, they wanted to focus on delivering a better mobile experience with their new batch of devices. Of course, very few people believed them.

Consumer sentiment was at an all time low, so that is why a lot of people now dare not say whether or not a current-generation device will be given an upgrade path from WM2003SE to WM2005 and beyond. It's the kind of issue that most are willing to simply sit on the fence and hope that events unfold to their liking... Sad to say.

Nice summary of months of pocketpc turmoil. Sounds like a chapter out of a history book. ;)

Surur

Margate
04-01-2005, 02:44 PM
If HP are still making the pda that you have when the new os comes out... AND if they [HP] releases them with the updated OS, I'm sure someone will rip it from the newer models ...

I have a 4705, and I'd bet they're still making them in 6 months... and when the new OS comes out, they'll be selling them with the new OS... ...who wants to buy a pda with an old OS?

If they still sell/make your model of pda with no hardware changes, when the new OS comes out you'll get a copy one way or another.

Well... I sure hope so! :)

surur
04-01-2005, 03:38 PM
...who wants to buy a pda with an old OS?
You mean like the HP 6315 ?

Surur

Darius Wey
04-02-2005, 02:30 AM
If HP are still making the pda that you have when the new os comes out... AND if they [HP] releases them with the updated OS, I'm sure someone will rip it from the newer models ... you'll get a copy one way or another. Well... I sure hope so! :)

Well if what you're saying is what I think you're saying, I'm sorry to say that this site is no advocate of piracy, so releasing OS rips online does not get our tick of approval.

In my opinion, it's better to purchase the upgrade for your intended device than have Mr. Warez tag it with his little W4|23Z paraphernalia.

mcmuddle
04-02-2005, 03:15 PM
hmmmm.....as a 'wannabe newbie' all I am getting now is the inclination to stay on the fence awhile more and not drop the bucks on a 'first device' until the release of the new OS....sitting on the fence is getting uncomfortable, but jumping blindly can hurt a bit more :?

I was going to rush out today and make the decision between the 4705 and the X50v on the sales floor.....guess I'll crack open this bottle of McCallan and watch a movie instead.

surur
04-02-2005, 03:53 PM
I was going to rush out today and make the decision between the 4705 and the X50v on the sales floor.....

You cant get a Dell is stores ;)

Surur

mcmuddle
04-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Thanks! Guess it would have been a quick trip! 8O

but I'm still gonna camp on the fence for WM2005 I guess....Maybe that is one reason sales are allegedly down? Lots of people are poised to buy, but the hype of the next new shiny/improved thing has us holding off?

PDANEWBIE
04-02-2005, 09:54 PM
I would not doubt it at all. If you have a company with a proven reputation for not satisfying any upgrade path at all but you heard rumors of the "latest and greatest" in the way of OS out there wouldn't you too hold out. The funny thing is these companies have problems with unit sales but then don't deliver on things that would keep their units selling I.E. upgrade paths, warranty service and things of that nature.

I am not sure how companies can lose sight of the things that truely matter to make the companies as large as they are.

Hrun
04-03-2005, 12:48 AM
I am not sure how companies can lose sight of the things that truely matter to make the companies as large as they are.

History is peppered with examples of this statement. It is what allows new companies a chance against the big boys, until they become big.