View Full Version : T-Mobile Delays 'Universal' (MDA IV) Release Till Autumn

Jonathon Watkins
03-18-2005, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href=' http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/17/t-mobile_delays_universal/' target='_blank'> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/17/t-mobile_delays_universal/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"T-Mobile's German operation has put back the release of its clamshell 3G-enabled Windows Mobile smart phone to the Autumn, according to the company's web site. The MDA IV, made by Taiwan's HTC and also known by its codename, 'Universal', was originally due to ship in the Summer, T-Mobile said when it announced the handset early in February this year. . . . It's unclear at this stage why the delay has arisen. One possibility is a pause to allow the device to ship with Windows Mobile 2005, aka 'Magneto', the next major revision of Microsoft's smart phone operating system"</i><br /><br />Not the best news. :| The Autumn seems a lot later away then the Summer now we are just entering Spring. The Register article also mentions the new Samsung's 3GB hard drive-based handset, the i300 and speculates how everyone may be in the same situation of having to wait for Windows Mobile 2005. Still, I can and will wait for this Pocket PC. (I hope). :wink:

donbacardi
03-18-2005, 08:50 AM
This is one "tech toy" that I just can't wait to get my hands on. Still, it's worth the wait. :beer:

Jason Lee
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
doesn't really surprise me. i was expecting quite the wait being here in the states anyway. besides, i just got my sx66 not all that long ago. i gotta get some use out of it before i hand it down. ;)

moaske
03-18-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's about waiting for WM2005 to be released; i saw a spec list somewhere on the web (can't find the link now... am at work) on the new Vodafone VPA4 (same as T-Mobile's MDA IV), and there it was: "OS: Microsoft WindowsMobile 2005" :P :lol:
Seems like it's finally gonna happen (this year anyway)...: the completely new OS

PdaAddict
03-18-2005, 05:31 PM
I wll sell my HX-4705 and I-mate Jam to get this as soon as I see it on e-bay. I don't think we will see it here in the US anytime soon. Does anyone know what the suggested price in Europe will be?

NLS
03-18-2005, 08:10 PM
aaaah good news

it's only 2-3 months I have my LOOX 720, really the best PDA I've own, used or even seen (and boy have I seen them all), I wouldn't like to have to vacillate with the decision to go out and buy again...

at least after summer, I COULD start thinking about it
PLUS more competition will be out which could only be a good thing (it's just HP that I don't care -not that I expect anything really useful from them anyway)

let's think... what would be good competition for MDA4 by autumn?
hmmm an MDA4-alike with GPS?
hmmmm 800x600 screen and/or a really useful AND IN FACT USED GPU?
hmmmmmm 256MB RAM?
hmmmmmmmmm same with MDA4 but half the volume?
what would someone buy then

thinks can get very interesting by the end of 2005

goody

humayunl
03-18-2005, 11:20 PM
I hope (don't think it will happen though) that this delay also means that somehow they realized that a PPCPE coming out in summer with a 1.3 Megapixel camera and a 520Mhz Processor and 128 MB RAM will not be "cutting edge"so anymore (devices with these -or higher specs are already around, though all features may not be in ONE device yet).

So i hope they have decided to upgrade the processor to whatever latest highest speed there is by then (I thought i heard someone mention 7xx Mhz?) , RAM to an optional 256 and camera to at least 2MP.

ALso, that they have decided that it doesnt really look that spiffy with the hinges and the screen side is too empty with no hardware buttons... and that there's room for at least .5 inches more of screen there..... and that the front could use a 2nd display.. and... hehehe :)

:) I can dream can't I?

damn... after writing this i have realized that my wishlist has not really been fulfilled by this universal... :( the only 2 MAJOR ups about this thing are the keyboard and VGA. Good enuf i guess.