View Full Version : PDF conversion problems

ssw
03-17-2005, 01:03 PM
When I try to copy a PDF file from my PC to the pocket PC it is not converted to the pocket PC format and it is impossible to read non- converted text after. What should I do to make PDF file to be converted?

Menneisyys
03-17-2005, 03:58 PM
When I try to copy a PDF file from my PC to the pocket PC it is not converted to the pocket PC format and it is impossible to read non- converted text after. What should I do to make PDF file to be converted?

First, welcome to the board :)

You have two choices.

1, you don't transfer its contents into another format (except for the optional, automatic reflow tagging of Reader 2.0's ActiveSync plug-in) and use a dedicated PDF reader (Adobe Reader or Clearvue) on the PDA itself. This is IMHO maybe the best way, especially if you have a VGA device or your PDF file is reflowable (which, again, can be done automatically, without human intervention).

2, you convert it to a different format. This will ONLY work (almost) 100% of the time if the target format is RepliGo. I've played with almost all the PDF -> anything converters and ALL delivered pretty bad results. RepliGo doesn't mess up the original structure / layout / images. RepliGo files are generally smaller than PDF files and the reader works faster.

yankeejeep
03-17-2005, 04:02 PM
What PDF viewer app do you have installed on your PPC? If you have Adobe Reader installed, a file copied through ActiveSync should try to reflow itself for better display on your device's screen. However, that is not required for Reader to open the file on your device. If you are using the Westtek ClearVue viewer for PDFs, I have encountered incompatability with some PDF files, but it works fine with over 90% of the files I receive and it works with PDF files with or without reflow data as well.

If you do not have a PDF viewer on your PPC, Adobe Reader is a free download but is quite large. The Westtek viewer has a small footprint and is inexpensive (but not free). Another option that can be used is RepliGo, which converts files for use with their viewer on your PPC (it uses the ActiveSync conduit to carry out its conversions) and supports conversion of PDF files among others.