View Full Version : X50v good for gaming?

pink floyd
03-16-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm thinking of upgrading my ipaq 2215 to a Dell X50v. I use my 2215 for emulation of the old game systems (ie. nes, snes, genesis, 2600, etc.), and I am comfortable with the controls. How does the X50v stack up to the button layout of the 2215? Also, I know that it has a faster processor, but because of the VGA, will I really notice an improvement in emulation? Thanks.

Robb Bates
03-17-2005, 12:16 AM
I did the same upgrade.

The faster processor is great for emulation. I can use FPSECE at almost full speed.

The D-pad is not as squishy as the h2215's. The buttons are a bit too close to the d-pad though. But not so close that you can't press them.

The VGA actually causes some problems. Some programs don't like the different resolution. There is an enhanced GAPI utility that fixes that problem, but you'll be switching between emulation modes. A bit annoying at times. Some programs are just outright non-compatible. The A02 ROM revision fixes some GAPI issues, but not all.

I'm looking towards the future. The Graphics accelerator really ROCKS when you use a program that takes advantage of it. Watching video with BetaPlayer is just like watching TV. No shearing, full resolution, full frame rate. I'm looking forward to some 3D games and console emulators that use the accelerator. That's going to be awesome.

The graphics accelrator has some great potential, but it's still young.

If you're not too squeamish about dealing with a few quirks, then this upgrade path is probably a good move.

Robb