View Full Version : Mobile database development

skinned_knuckles
03-14-2005, 05:59 PM
I need my Windows Mobile 2003 application to read and write a single column or row of data to a Microsoft Access database on the company network. I know of two possible solutions.

Solution 1 InTheHand

ActiveSync has a nice built-in capability to create, transfer and synchronize an abridged copy of an Access database. The file it creates has a .cdb extension. Sometimes it is called “Pocket Access” format even though Pocket Access is no longer offered.

There are plenty of programs available that use this format but I need open source code to expand an existing application. InTheHand sells a ADOCE.NET wrapper which includes all the classes and objects to connect and interact with the .cdb database. But I’ve yet to find clear instructions of how to use it. Specifically I need to know what references I need to add to my project if I’m using a ipaq rx3115 with a Samsung processor (S3C2440) and what files if any I need to copy or install on my PPC. Anybody know?

Solution 2 Sqlserverce

Sqlserverce objects are available as part of Visual Studio but as I understand these will only work with sqlserver files ending in .sdb. I’m sure that this file type can be generated with Microsoft SQL server but it seems I can’t install that without adding IIS to my computer which the IT department won’t let me do. Is there another way to translate .mdb files into .sql files? And how can I synchronize the PPC database with the network database.

Is there another solution I’ve overlooked?

Thanks for any feedback.

Jonathan

paulzazzarino
04-15-2005, 07:17 PM
There are a couple good books out there out database programming with CE devices.

In particular if you use .NET CF you can utilize RDA or Merge Replication.

See MS Press The .NET Compact Framework
See Addison Wesley - .NET Compact Framework Programming w/ C#