View Full Version : Calendar & Time Zones

DBoydNL
03-11-2005, 09:25 PM
I am using an HPIpaq with Windows CE 3.0.
I entered an appointment in the Calendar while in Philadelphia for 9:30 AM this morning Eastern Standard Time.
I flew to Iowa, and changed the settings for my Ipaq to Central Time.
I received a call yesterday asking if the appointment could be 15 minutes earlier. I looked it up and it said 10:30, but it had been so long since I made the appointment, that I did not notice the hour was wrong. So I only changed the "30" into "15". From that moment on I had 10:30 in my mind for the meeting and did not need to consult my Calendar for the time of the meeting. I flew back to Philadelphia last night, went to bed, and went to my meeting the following morning at 10:15. I was an hour late.

This is one specific problem. Guess what happens when you are on the East Coast and make an appointment to see someone on the West Coast? The time of your appointment shifts 4 hours when you set your Ipaq to the proper time zone. What about the time difference to Europe? Asia? This cannot be right!

Is there a setting that I have not gotten right? In a few months I am going to The Netherlands for several months. Will all my appointments shift with the time difference. Will all the Birthdays I have in my Ipaq be messed up? Is there a fix for this problem?

David Boyd

Jason Dunn
03-12-2005, 12:27 AM
This has to do with the way Microsoft thinks it should work. I don't like it, and it seems you don't either.

The solution? When you want to change to a new time zone, change the clock and don't change the timezone. This will give you two things:

1) The right time on your Pocket PC
2) None of your appointments will move at all