View Full Version : iPAQ 5450 Battery Question

caseguru
03-11-2005, 03:18 PM
My 5450 is about 2 years old and I've had very few problems, but last night, the darn thing just wouldn't turn on no matter what I did. Is there any way to test the battery before I buy a new one? I have a multimeter, but will that work, and what reading means I need to cough up some cash? (or just tell the wife I need a new one!!!!)

Caseguru

Menneisyys
03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
I have a multimeter, but will that work, and what reading means I need to cough up some cash?

It's highly unlikely a HP battery goes bad in a moment, without showing the usual en-of-life signs (decreasing battery life with one charge etc) first - they're pretty reliable. (The same happened to me with several batteries though, but they were all cheap, non-HP, iPAQ 2210 batteries from HardCE.) So, I think it's "just" depleted - for example because something kept the PPC awake. So, my question is: Did you try to charge the battery with the regular charger, and not just a USB charger? The latter don't charge depleted batteries in a lot of cases because of the limited current it can give.

A multimeter doesn't necessarily deliver reliable results if you measure a battery 'as is', without any real-life current flowing thorugh it because it may have some internal resistance. Check out http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115526 on the latter subject.

caseguru
03-11-2005, 05:06 PM
No, I only have cradles. And there is no sign of life in either the one at home or at work. In the past, when it has run out overnight, It has just recharged. So that's why I'm concerned.

Menneisyys
03-12-2005, 08:22 AM
No, I only have cradles. And there is no sign of life in either the one at home or at work. In the past, when it has run out overnight, It has just recharged. So that's why I'm concerned.

OIC. Well, if it doesn't charge, loan another battery to test yoru device. If it works OK, then, get a new battery. Unfortunately, Lithium-based batteries don't last forever.

caseguru
03-21-2005, 10:27 PM
As a follow-up for anyone reading these posts - I bought a new battery and it now works great. So, apparently, an overnight "Hero to Zero" is possible with these batteries. Thanks for your help/advice.

Caseguru