View Full Version : Can I disable keys on the Mitac 168

renno
03-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi all, first time post.
I have a Navman Pin (Mitac 168) which I mainly use as vehicle navigation and Ozi Explorer GPS (topo).
The problem I have is when the unit is not in use and in my bag the unit comes on when a key on the front of the unit is pressed causing the battery to run down. I have reassigned the keys to "none" and the unit still comes on.

As the unit has a GPS antenna I dont think there is a hard case to fit the unit.

Is there any software or something I can do to stop the unit turning on when keys on front are pushed.
Thanks
Renno

Menneisyys
03-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi all, first time post.
I have a Navman Pin (Mitac 168) which I mainly use as vehicle navigation and Ozi Explorer GPS (topo).
The problem I have is when the unit is not in use and in my bag the unit comes on when a key on the front of the unit is pressed causing the battery to run down. I have reassigned the keys to "none" and the unit still comes on.

As the unit has a GPS antenna I dont think there is a hard case to fit the unit.

Is there any software or something I can do to stop the unit turning on when keys on front are pushed.
Thanks
Renno

First, welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately, there're no purely software (add-on) solutions - they all work in non-suspended mode (because they need to be run), it's only the screen that they shut down.

Some models have hardware / software (in ROM) keylocks. Examples are Toshibas (hardware keylock button) and e.g. the iPAQ 2210 and the Pocket Loox 720 (Settings/ Buttons / Lock and FSC KeyLock).

Other device manufacturers, if they DO include some kind of ROM-based keylock mechanism, will most likely put its settings screen in Settings/ Buttons. Did you already check whether it has a third tab, in addition to the two standard ones?

renno
03-11-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks for such a quick response. It only has the two standard tabs. Not sure what to do, I have also been searching for a haed case, with no luck.
Thanks
Renno

Menneisyys
03-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for such a quick response. It only has the two standard tabs. Not sure what to do, I have also been searching for a haed case, with no luck.
Thanks
Renno

Then, some kind of a custom case is your only choice, unfortunately.

renno
03-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi all,
I was sitting on the train the other day board so I started playing with the PIN. In Settings under the System Tab there is a Utility called Mio Utility. Go to the Wake up tab and de-select the wake up on application buttons.

Has saved my battery heaps since.

Renno