View Full Version : T-Mobile Uses WiMax to Offer Net Access for UK trains

Jonathon Watkins
03-10-2005, 07:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/15/t-mobile_wifi_expansion/' target='_blank'>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/0...wifi_expansion/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"T-Mobile has pledged to take its global Wi-Fi hotspot tally to 20,000 sites by the end of the year, including both fixed locations and mobile access points on UK trains connected to the net via WiMax. . . . Getting on board the UK's rail network is particularly interesting, as it represents the first use of a 32Mbps WiMax backbone for the service, currently being trialled on Southern Trains' London to Brighton run. To date, internet access has been connected to on-board Wi-Fi networks through fast satellite links, with slower GPRS connections used as a fall-back when the line of sight between satellite and antenna is blocked."</i><br /><br />I like to travel by train whenever I can and am looking forward to being able to connect to the net by Wifi during the journey. Mobile WifiMax access still look to be a <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37553&amp;">few years away</a>, but it's use as a network backbone seems a very smart way to make initial use of the technology. Of course, one day we'll all have universal un-metered 32Mbs feeds directly to our PPCs anyway. ;-) Till then, the goal of sufficiently speedy ubiquitous affordable wireless access remains elusive.

Falinn
03-10-2005, 01:52 PM
I like to travel by train whenever I can

If you lived in the UK you'd avoid it at all costs. :D

Jonathon Watkins
03-10-2005, 02:20 PM
I like to travel by train whenever I can

If you lived in the UK you'd avoid it at all costs. :D

:confused totally: So where do you think I live then?

Where possible I have been using UK trains to commute over the past four years or so. Of course it all depends where you are commuting from and to and wat what time you travel. At 06:30 I often have a carriage to myself. :wink:

Golfer
03-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Is this a shared service? Could I use my BT Openzone wifi on the train between Reading and Waterloo?

Jonathon Watkins
03-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Is this a shared service? Could I use my BT Openzone wifi on the train between Reading and Waterloo?

Pass. Only the initial sketchy overview has been announced, so I think it will be a while before this goes into service and it's anyone's guess what the wireless world will look like at that point.

Falinn
03-11-2005, 02:16 PM
So where do you think I live then?

Hurmm, guess i should have looked at ur sig shouldnt I. Only reason i said that is i only use trains infrequently, but whenever i do i end up having to catch a coach/bus for most of the journey, and pay a premium for the privilage.

Wifi on trains tho, like the idea- cant see them making it cheapenough to be attractive, at least not to begin with.

Jonathon Watkins
03-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Only reason i said that is i only use trains infrequently, but whenever i do i end up having to catch a coach/bus for most of the journey, and pay a premium for the privilage.

As I said, it depends on your train operator and the line you are using. I have never had to take a bus instead of the train.

Wifi on trains tho, like the idea- cant see them making it cheapenough to be attractive, at least not to begin with.

That's the thing that worries me as well. I am commuting an hour each way at the moment, so a flat fee of £20 a month would be the *maximum* amount I would be willing to pay.