View Full Version : New Zune Thoughts Template

Jason Dunn
02-16-2007, 09:10 PM
We couldn't leave well enough alone, so we've updated the template here at Zune Thoughts. Be sure to clear your browser cache (CONTROL+F5 on a PC) or things will look <em>very </em>strange. There were a few goals we had with this re-design: <br /><ul> <li>Create a template that all other Thoughts Media Web sites can use.</li> <li>Spruce up the visual design of the template by adding new graphics, changing the colours, and adding general polish (the first template was done in quite a hurry for our launch).</li> <li>Create a high-visibility area where we can promote our articles and original content.</li> <li>Highlight top stories, articles, and recent posts in our forums.</li> <li>Expose the power of the network: we want to show you what's going on with the other Thoughts Media sites, from the articles we're publishing on them, to the news items that are being published.</li> <li>Speed up page loading: by switching to a new AJAX-based RSS feed solution, the page will load first,then the RSS feeds up top and in the right column. Everything feels snappier.</li> <li>Make front-page archives easier to get at by having links at the bottom of the front page.</li> <li>Drive added revenue: sad but true, money matters, and since Thoughts Media is what I do for a living, we added one new advertising zone to the front page and recently added a new ad zone to the forums.</li></ul>Feedback on the new template is welcome, as long as it's constructive and nicely worded! ;-)

Macguy59
02-17-2007, 04:57 AM
Site does load faster but doesn't look very good in Safari FWIW. Ads seem more "in your face" than previously.

Janak Parekh
02-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Site does load faster but doesn't look very good in Safari FWIW. Ads seem more "in your face" than previously. Huh. I just pulled up the site in Safari, and it looks identical to the way it does in Firefox. I think it looks pretty good, too. ;)

My two comments:

1. Consider a few more borders, such as the bottom of the featured articles and to the left of the right column (i.e. top stories/articles/etc). Right now, the article bodies seem a little too floating. Not a major quirk, though.

2. The white/black contrast is a bit too harsh, especially near the top. Maybe this is what byteme is also seeing when he feels the ads are "in your face". The ad location doesn't bother me, but some gentler contrast (maybe a gradient?) would remove some of the harsh edges.

--janak

Jolt
02-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Is there a reason that you don't use the right and left sides like you do on ppc thoughts and smartphone thoughts sites? Seems like a waste not putting advertising there. Also I would try to add more "Zune" coloring. Just my opinion.:)

Jon Westfall
02-19-2007, 04:54 AM
I personally like the new design. I agree that the contrasts make the top of the page look very eye-catching, perhaps too eye-catching. Otherwise, I think it's a layout that will work nicely on ZT as well as the other Thoughts Media sites.

Jon.

Jason Dunn
02-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Site does load faster but doesn't look very good in Safari FWIW. Ads seem more "in your face" than previously.

Hmm. Fabrizio says it checks out in Safari, so I wonder why you're seeing something different?

Regarding the ads, well, that wasn't the intention. Other than the 336 x 280 zone we added in the content column four items down, there are no new ads. I think the colours might be making them more "in your face" than before. Thanks for the feedback!

Jason Dunn
02-22-2007, 09:54 PM
1. Consider a few more borders, such as the bottom of the featured articles and to the left of the right column (i.e. top stories/articles/etc). Right now, the article bodies seem a little too floating.

Yes, I agree. Turns out that was already sort of planned (the vertical lines near the RSS feeds) but a CSS issue prevented the implementation.

2. The white/black contrast is a bit too harsh, especially near the top. Maybe this is what byteme is also seeing when he feels the ads are "in your face".

Agreed - the problem is more the issue with the ads being black as well. We'll look at changing the background a bit.

Jason Dunn
02-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Is there a reason that you don't use the right and left sides like you do on ppc thoughts and smartphone thoughts sites? Seems like a waste not putting advertising there.

Well, we wanted to expand the content area to allow for more content and bigger graphics. In order to do that we needed more space, and it's hard to have ads on both the left and right side with that design. This way we have a nice wide piece of space for content, and still space for ads and other content on the right side.

Also I would try to add more "Zune" coloring. Just my opinion.:)

You mean like brown and white?

Jolt
02-23-2007, 02:00 AM
You mean like brown and white?

Not white but a nice rich brown maybe trimed in green with the captions to each new article heading fading from pink to orange.:D It was just a thought.