View Full Version : ActiveSync

thimyee
03-09-2005, 11:43 AM
When I try to stop the ActiveSync program in the Running Program List, the program is not responding because it is busy, waiting for response or has stopped running. I have to End Task to stop the program. But later, the Active Sync program every now and then is still running as listed in the Running Program List even though the PDA may be off. Is there a way to stop this problem as it drain away the battery power?

Dave Conger
03-10-2005, 11:22 PM
I am not sure I quite understand what you want to do. ActiveSync always will keep running in the task bar unless you actually kill the process. It does that so it will automatically connect when you plug in your device.

yankeejeep
03-11-2005, 05:19 PM
ActiveSync will autolaunch when to connect to a desktop system, so it does not need to be left running. It doesn't use any more power than any other app open in the background unless it is using processor time to carry out a sync. However, once launched, it will not automatically shut itself down when you disconnect for the host computer.

If ActiveSync seems to be launching itself without a desktop connection taking place, check the settings and make sure it is not set to check for connections on a time schedule. You will find this in the device's ActiveSync..Tools settings. If you set the Mobile Options to 'Manually' it will not start periodically but only when you have a cabled connection or launch the AS connection manually.

It is good to keep in mind that, once started, WM apps stay open in the background unless you 1) go the the Running Programs listing and end them, or 2) install an app that gives the 'X' button true close functionality (rather than its WM default behavior of keeping the app open but sending into the background). Turning your device off simply reduces it to its minimum power consumption level (and typically means power only going to maintain the RAM on PPC devices). When you power back up, you should be exactly where you were when you powered down. This means any app put into the background rather than closed will still be there in the background.