View Full Version : Problems upgrading Voice Command

Steve Sharp
03-08-2005, 06:12 AM
Okay, I'm gettin' irritated now. I had Microsoft Voice Command v1.0, used it for a while, and then upgraded to v1.5. I didn't really have any problems with either version, until today. It decided not to work anymore (would go to the contact listing of the person that I wanted it to call, but it wouldn't dial.) So, I noticed that when I'd do a soft reset, it would give me an error message saying that Voice Command couldn't start properly.

I unistalled it, (v1.5) thinking that I would just re-install it... simple, right? Wrong. v1.5 is an upgrade, so it wouldn't install because it didn't see a previous version of VC on my PPC. So, I dug up my old version of VC 1.0 and installed that, no problem. So, again, I tried to reinstall VC 1.5, and it *still* says that it can't install because there is no previous version installed.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Yeah, I know, I can try to wade through MS faqs or amuse myself by wading into the lunacy that *is* the MS website, but I'd sooner drink gasoline. Besides, I went over there, and about 45 minutes of finding nothing useful whatsoever, I decided to ask you guys (and girls) if any of you had a similar problem.
Thanx!

Steve

ToddJ
03-09-2005, 06:17 AM
I am having the same problem...i can't figure out what is wrong....

ebadger
03-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Okay, I'm gettin' irritated now. I had Microsoft Voice Command v1.0, used it for a while, and then upgraded to v1.5. I didn't really have any problems with either version, until today. It decided not to work anymore (would go to the contact listing of the person that I wanted it to call, but it wouldn't dial.) So, I noticed that when I'd do a soft reset, it would give me an error message saying that Voice Command couldn't start properly.

I unistalled it, (v1.5) thinking that I would just re-install it... simple, right? Wrong. v1.5 is an upgrade, so it wouldn't install because it didn't see a previous version of VC on my PPC. So, I dug up my old version of VC 1.0 and installed that, no problem. So, again, I tried to reinstall VC 1.5, and it *still* says that it can't install because there is no previous version installed.

Any ideas on what the problem could be? Yeah, I know, I can try to wade through MS faqs or amuse myself by wading into the lunacy that *is* the MS website, but I'd sooner drink gasoline. Besides, I went over there, and about 45 minutes of finding nothing useful whatsoever, I decided to ask you guys (and girls) if any of you had a similar problem.
Thanx!

Steve

Steve,

The upgrade mechanism is somewhat retarded. The fact is that you have to have V1.0 or 1.01 installed on your PC. The catch is, you must have Voice Command uninstalled from the PPC. You can do this through start->settings->remove programs. When you have v1.0 or 1.01 on your PC and nothing on your PPC, you can proceed with the upgrade.