View Full Version : Larger fonts for Mobipocket reader?

disconnected
03-07-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm using the tweaks2k2 VGA brute force hack for Mobipocket, but the print is too small for me, even at the largest setting. Without the hack, the print looks pretty blurry, even with cleartype enabled. For some reason, the same fonts are fine with the hack in ereader and the MSLit reader. Are there any downloadable fonts that would be larger? I know nothing about fonts, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. For all I know, all fonts come in the same size ranges. :oops:

dMores
03-10-2005, 10:39 AM
this is all i found:
http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Support/KBase_article.asp?ArticleID=156

it answers your question, but for the palm OS platform.
basically they say "install the font on your handheld, then select the font from mobipocket".

you might also want to contact mobipocket. my experience is they reply within a couple of days and add your question to the FAQ database.

erm ... how that works on a ppc, i have no idea. but i suppose you'd need some other solution, because if you select a different font, there's not going to be a difference in size, since fonts are usually always the same size.

you might need a windows registry hack ... now where did i read something about a guy who wanted to have larger ppc fonts throughhout his system ...
ok, found it. german board.
the solution was to use http://www.tillanosoft.com/ce/ptweak.html]pocket ( [url) tweak[/url]. someone else then posted a link to RegKing 2003 (http://www.cewindows.net/applications/regking2003.htm).
you might give those a shot, see if they support special-font-sizes-for-selected-programs.

hpf
03-11-2005, 09:52 AM
I think you can install any true type font, the Mobipocket Reader will list them and you will be able to choose the one you want to use.

You can install your own fonts on all PPC devices, it works the same way a PC does.

disconnected
03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks guys. I have tweaks2k2, but changing the system font doesn't seem to affect Mobipocket reader. I have several fonts installed, but they all seem to be about the same size. I sent an email to Mobipocket, but haven't heard back yet. I read on another thread that they plan a VGA version in April, so that would be great.

disconnected
03-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Just got an answer from Mobipocket -- new estimated date for the VGA version is September. :(

drop
03-15-2005, 10:22 PM
:evil:

I asked several months ago the answer was: April. Now is not until September?!!! :soapbox:

Put a lot of effort in it, developers!

I wonder if the fact that tweaks2k2 is a really good temporary fix for Mobipocket Reader so Mobi is taking its own sweet time to work on VGA version.

hpf
03-18-2005, 01:42 PM
AFAIK, They are working on the Mobipocket Reader 5.0, and some other projects.

I am not sure if the VGA release was planned or not in the past months, but I saw a Mobipocket Reader with native VGA support, and it was great.

As I no more use PPC for the moment, but only Symbian smartphones, I don't really care about it.

If I had to choose, I would prefer a Linux port of the Reader.