View Full Version : Smile and Say Password!

Jon Westfall
03-03-2005, 01:58 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mobiletracker.net/archives/2005/03/01/face-recognition' target='_blank'>http://www.mobiletracker.net/archiv...ace-recognition</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Omron yesterday announced OKOA, software for camera phones that enables face recognition security. To use the unit, the user simply takes his or her own photo... [OKOA] will automatically detect the user and unlock the unit. The verification process takes less than a second from snapping the photograph."</i><br /><br />This sounds like something out of James Bond, but in the near future our devices may be able to unlock simply by looking at us. The implications for this could be pretty amazing - no longer do we need to tap in a password or swipe a finger. Simply look at your unit and in a snap it looks back and recognizes its daddy (or mommy as the case may be). I just wonder how long it will take to perfect this authentication scheme...

gregmills
03-03-2005, 02:36 PM
I wonder if the facial recognition lock could be defeated with a simple photograph.

Darius Wey
03-03-2005, 02:41 PM
I wonder if the facial recognition lock could be defeated with a simple photograph.

I doubt it. Such technology would probably work behind a three-dimensional field of view, rather than a two-dimensional one. Otherwise, it'd be redundant, and in this day and age of technological innovations, no company can afford to make a simple slip like that and pour hundreds of thousands of dollars in funding down the drain (well, at least I hope not). :mrgreen:

rocky_raher
03-03-2005, 03:06 PM

I doubt it. Such technology would probably work behind a three-dimensional field of view, rather than a two-dimensional one.

If the phone identifies you by taking a photograph of you, hou could it possibly distinguish between its owner and a thief holding a photo of the owner's face in front of him? Unless you think they have a three-dimensional camera bundled with the phone. Or do I simply misunderstand your comment, Darius??

PDANEWBIE
03-03-2005, 03:34 PM
A photo may actually work. I believe how this software works (now I am not familiar with this company but I read about a similar software) is correlating distance of features that are prespecified as point I.E. distance from nose to jaw line, width of eyes in corelation to the temples, height of forhead from nose and then it is simple mathmatics after the points are all in place.

I also wonder how good it would be at seeing someone from an off angle or maybe halfway turned instead of face forward to the picture.

They have had "image recognition software" installed in Florida for years on cameras located a popular clubbing strip and they even admitted it had many flaws vrs the benifits it has given them.

In all a good idea I just wonder if a photograph of a person would work.

felixdd
03-03-2005, 03:47 PM

I doubt it. Such technology would probably work behind a three-dimensional field of view, rather than a two-dimensional one. Otherwise, it'd be redundant, and in this day and age of technological innovations, no company can afford to make a simple slip like that and pour hundreds of thousands of dollars in funding down the drain (well, at least I hope not). :mrgreen:

Then simply take one picture, and use photo editing programs that are available today to simulate binocular disparities, and hold both of those pictures in front of the camera's eyes.

kozak
03-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Just make a really funny face, that is unique to you and that you don't make too often. It'll be more secure that way.

kozak
03-03-2005, 08:12 PM
This would also be cool if you have a tattoo on your hand or something. You can just take a picture of your tattoo and then would need to just hold the camera to your hand to log in. Would be better then having to smile into the camera to turn it on all the time.

kuklovod
03-03-2005, 09:54 PM
for hard to break password that does not require keyboard tapping i use visKey, which allows you to set few spots on a picture tapping which unlocks your PPC... this way even four clicks can make an almost unbreakable password, and smiles are saved for your family :)

Jon Westfall
03-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Just make a really funny face, that is unique to you and that you don't make too often. It'll be more secure that way.

Great, so now when you open your pocket pc in public everyone gets to see you take a picture of yourself with the most asinine look on your face... perfect for the board room.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, and how easily (or hard) it is circumvented.

Jon.

Darius Wey
03-04-2005, 12:22 AM
If the phone identifies you by taking a photograph of you, hou could it possibly distinguish between its owner and a thief holding a photo of the owner's face in front of him? Unless you think they have a three-dimensional camera bundled with the phone. Or do I simply misunderstand your comment, Darius??

I think I've confused myself now. :lol:

What I originally meant was there may be more to it than a single snapshot. Perhaps some point-to-point distancing measures are incorporated to form a basic 3D 'picture'. Actually, I haven't read the article yet. Maybe I will once I get onto a PC. My hand's tired from tapping on the screen constantly. :p