View Full Version : Visto Corporation Sues Smartner

Ed Hansberry
03-02-2005, 04:00 AM
<a href="http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=4135">http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=4135</a><br /><br /><i>"Visto Corporation had filed a complaint alleging patent infringements against Smartner Information Systems Ltd. The complaint, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, seeks a permanent injunction that would prohibit Smartner from continuing to marketing its services in the United States. Visto will also seek monetary damages as compensation for Smartner's illegal actions. Both companies offer secure push e-mail for mobile devices like Windows Mobile Pocket PC, Windows Mobile Smartphone and Symbian smartphones."</i><br /><br />There aren't enough details to determine if they are blocking because Smartner is supposedly using actual technology Visto has rights to or if it is the concept of secure push email. If it is over the latter, well... :razz: I'll be honest. I must have been under a rock on this. I know who RIMM is and their arch rival Good Technology. I have never heard of Visto or Smartner. Maybe they should spend more on marketing and less on law suits.

JonnoB
03-02-2005, 04:13 AM
A lawsuit can be good marketing. They got coverage here, didn't they?

ctmagnus
03-02-2005, 05:18 AM
I know who RIMM is and their arch rival Good Technology.

That's RIM with one M, ie Research In Motion. They're based in Waterloo, just like that Abba song. Is it stuck in your head yet? :mrgreen:

Ed Hansberry
03-02-2005, 01:46 PM
That's RIM with one M, ie Research In Motion.Ha! Yeah, but their ticker symbol is RIMM, which is how I always seem to write it down. :mrgreen: They're based in Waterloo, just like that Abba song. Is it stuck in your head yet? :mrgreen:Yeah. Having just seen www.mamma-mia.com this past weekend, all of their stuff is stuck in my head. :lol:

thunderck
03-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I think Smartner is more of a middleware company for Carriers. Similar to Seven. Sprints BSEE runs on Seven. Not sure what other companies use.

Chris Spera
03-02-2005, 03:38 PM
I think Smartner is more of a middleware company for Carriers. Similar to Seven. Sprints BSEE runs on Seven. Not sure what other companies use.

That's not entirely accurate. I use Smartner Duality Professional. It allows you to get push e-mail on any WM Device without having to implement an enterprise level solution. End users can install and get their mail directly to their device via a secure, encrypted, wireless connection. Its great!

wshwe
03-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Smartner also works with Symbian Series 60 and UIQ smartphones. Sure hope Visto loses. Smartner supports many more devices than Visto. Visto has been unable to compete effectively with RIM.