View Full Version : The Tale of my Toshiba e830 and Toshiba Service Support

Ripper014
03-01-2005, 11:35 PM
I posted this at Brighthand but thought I should post it here as well.

Having seen all the bad press that Toshiba is getting because of their service support I thought I would post my experiences with them prior to the resolution of my problem.

If you have been around for a bit you will have seen my name on the boards… I am a regular pollster and try to help when I can. I have opinions and can be opinionated… for those that I have upset I apologize. This is going to be a rather long post so for those that are interested please read on… for the rest of you it’s probably better that you go to another thread now.

My tale actually begins in the middle of December… when I purchased my first Toshiba e830 (after this I will just call it the e830). I loaded in all my software as I was planning to upgrade from my Hp2210… all seemed to go rather well as I was excited about my new vga device. After testing all the software I noticed that my new device was not as fast as my former unit, but that was a small price to pay for vga. As I went through my day-to-day activities I was still using both devices since my new Sena case had not arrived so the e830 was relegated to use at home only. Testing continued and everything seemed fine until… I tried the Bluetooth for my GPS unit. It would not connect to my e830… After some research I figured the problem was probably with Toshiba’s custom BT stack.

I contacted both Pharos (the maker of the gps unit) and Toshiba… both were equally inept as Pharos told me that they have customers with the e800 that have it working, did they fail to read the e-mail (I have a e830). After several communications they finally passed the buck to Toshiba (am I surprised… nope). I called Toshiba… This is we should note that I have been a big supporter of Toshiba for many years… my first two laptops were made by Toshiba. I have a TV in each bedroom that is a Toshiba; I also have 2 DvD players that are Toshiba… a VCR that is Toshiba… a Big Screen TV in my front room that is Toshiba… and finally a portable DvD Player that is Toshiba… so you can see… I have a few Toshiba devices.

Another note… is that I have never used Toshiba support ever before calling regarding my PocketPC.

The story continues… re: Bluetooth. I call Toshiba and rather quickly receive service from a representative… I explain my problem and he has no idea what I am talking about so he escalates my case to level 2 support. I go through the whole scenario again and get the same result… up I go to level 3. At this point the gentleman has a vague idea of my issues but has no answers… he has taken notes and will talk to a systems engineer and get back to me.

A couple of days later I have a message on my answering machine stating they have no answer for me… but yes they believe it is an issue with the Bluetooth stack and that they might be in the process of updating it. I am not sure what that means but I feel that I have been blown off. He leaves a phone number if I want to call him back… I note that this is a long distance call that I would have to pay for. I am not impressed and leave it at that since I do not seeing them resolving my problem.

This is where my real story begins… when I first got the unit and loaded all my software I checked everything including my wireless. I have a wireless accesspoint at home and I tested the e830 from my desk, about 18 inches from my AP and it seemed to be working. Well I tried it from my bedroom 25 feet away and I could not get a connection… in fact I could not see my AP on ConfigFree. My Hp2210 with my CF Wifi card allowed me access from across the street in my car so I know there was a problem. I took it back to my local retailer since I had only had it a few days for a replacement unit.

My retailer was very good about it and replaced the unit with no questions asked. I went through the process reloading my device… this time it was a lot easier since I just did a restore. The first thing I check… yup my Wifi… and it is not working. I am feeling very unlucky. I return to the retailer to find out that they do not have another unit in stock or in my city so I have to wait for them to restock. They tell me this should not take more than a week.

As you are all aware I am a big supporter of this device… but I wonder if maybe I was wrong, but I continue to push in the threads the potential of this device.

Three weeks later I finally get my new unit… probably because I did such a good job promoting it you guys kept it off the shelves. It is now Jan 7th and I finally have my new unit, the retailer again does an amazing thing by extending my warranty from this date. I guess he feels that this day is the day I got my working unit. I would have to agree. I take it home and everything seems in working order… this has also given me the time to receive my Sena case… (took 2 weeks to arrive) and Brando Screen Protector (also took 2 weeks to arrive). I am a pretty happy camper.

The process of applying the Brando Protector was not the most enjoyable… (damn dust)… but I was able to finally apply it dust free, wonderful addition to my PocketPC.

Everything is fine for another 5 weeks… until I unplug my headset from my e830 and I know longer have sound from my internal speaker. I shake my head and hope that it is the old stuck switch problem… I cannot get it to work… I can get sound out of the device but only if I stick the pin in part way. It is definitely a hardware issue. I need to call Toshiba.

So the tale begins

DAY 1 February 14th … (sorry but I did say it was a long story).

I call Toshiba… and again I get connected in a reasonable amount of time with a service representative. I explain my situation to him and he asks for the serial number for my device. He cannot find it on his database, but that is ok as long as I can fax him that back of my device with the serial and model numbers. I am a little upset by this since it is not my fault that they do not have me on their database. I ask if I can e-mail it… but they only have the facility to receive this information via fax. It bothers me that I will be paying to fax this information to them.

I am concerned that if I send my unit in… they might swap it out for another unit (I would then lose my Brando Screen Protector, a significant investment on my part especially since it is only a few weeks old). He asks me to hold as he talks to his supervisor regarding the process of repairs… he comes back on the line and confirms that this might happen. I tell him that this is not an acceptable solution to my problem so I ask if it is possible to repair my unit locally… (I personally believe I should be getting a new unit, afterall the unit is only 5 weeks old). He says yes and gives me the location of 2 Toshiba Authorized Service Centres. I say thank-you and we end the call. This solution which is not ideal is acceptable to me…

DAY 2 February 15th

I spend the morning driving from downtown Vancouver to Burnaby trying to get my device serviced. At each location I am told that they cannot repair my device since Toshiba will not supply them with the parts. I am beside myself since this has taken 4 hours of my time… (I am a busy student that is in the process of getting Cisco certified and do not really have the time to be driving around town).

I get home and immediately call Toshiba… I get another service representative… (apparently there are about 300 of them) and go through my story again. He again tries to locate my serial number with no luck and tells me to fax in the information, “I AM NOT HAPPY”. He tells me that they cannot repair my PocketPC locally, the only service centre for PocketPC’s is in Toronto. I am not happy but feel I have little choice, but I do feel that Toshiba owes me something for my 4 hours of time. He mentions that I can place a complaint to the Customer Relations Department… I open a file. I cannot send my unit in because we have a meeting of the local PocketPC Club tomorrow night so I decide to hold on the unit for a few more days.

DAY 4 February 17th

I have not heard from Toshiba… I have made copies of my serial/model numbers and a cover letter in preparations of sending it in. I am still wondering why I have to pay for it… I call the retailer that I bought the unit from and talk to the manager to make him aware of my plight. He is empathetic with my issue but since I have gone past 14 days there is little he can do… but offers to revisit the issue if I cannot resolve it with Toshiba (I will be dealing with these retailers in the future).

I then place a call to Toshiba… I am upset that I have not heard back from Toshiba Customer Relations… it has been 2 days. I get through to the service department… and speak to another representative… he reads my file and apologizes for the lack of service. He asks for my serial number… and guess what… he finds it. One problem solved… he offers to send me a box to send my unit in for repairs. At this point I no longer feel this is an option… I have been using PocketPC’s for about 10 years now since I migrated from a paper organizer and for the last half of that relied on them to manage my day-to-day activities. I cannot be without it for an extended amount of time… and their option will leave me without it for at least a week. He says that he is not empowered to do anything more and passes me to his supervisor.

After addressing my issue with this supervisor he too has no authority to do anything else than to provide service through their regular channels. I tell him this is no longer acceptable… and he offers to escalate my Customer Relations Service Request to a higher queue. He offers to connect me directly to a Customer Relations Representative but they only work from 8:30am – 5:00pm EST. I am upset that no one from Customer Relations has contacted me but I see there is nothing that I can do at this point.

I have made note that though the Toshiba Service Centre is available 24/7 their service department is only available as mentioned above or 5:30am – 2:00pm my time PST. I am not normally available during those hours. I feel they need to empower their supervisors to make some of the decisions that are current relegated to Customer Relations due to their unavailability to most costumers. Just my personal thoughts but I feel they are reasonable.

I thank him and hang up.

DAY 5 February 18th

I still have not received a call back from Toshiba… so I call again. Go through another service representative to his supervisor who tries to connect me to the Customer Relations Department… (I made a special effort to be available by 4:30 EST so I could get this issue resolved). He cannot get me connected to Customer Relations… they have gone for the day… Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr… I go a little off the boil… the supervisor handles it rather well and offers to contact them personally on Monday morning, and to leave any resolutions on my Service Request file. I am upset… but thank him for his efforts, I will try to call again on Monday.

Are we getting the picture yet…. After a week of calls to Toshiba I have made very little headway. But they have found my device on their database now…

DAY 8 February 21st

I again make a special effort the be available to Toshiba during their Customer Relations Departments working hours… I get home and I find that I have not received a message from them. I get a drink… take a deep breath and call them again. It is about 4:30pm EST (they are suppose to be working till 5:00pm EST). I go through the whole scenario again… first line of support… supervisor… I ask if there has been anything new tagged to my case. Nope… The supervisor offers to connect me to Customer Relations… and guess what they are not available… meetings or left early I do not remember the excuse. I am livid… after another hour on the phone discussing my case with the supervisor I hang up. I will be calling back.

DAY 9 February 22nd

No lectures this morning so I can call earlier…

Ok… so here is the scenario… I have it to a science now. I call Toshiba… and speak to the service representative. I quote my case number and he reads it… asks me to hold on… I have been on the phone for about 30 seconds… the supervisor gets on the line… and talks to me regarding my case… he also reads the file… and asks me to hold while he contacts Customer Relations… I have now been on the phone for about 10 minutes… 90 seconds talk-time. After another 8 minutes a Customer Relations Representative gets on the line and asks… “HOW CAN I HELP YOU”… I go ballistic… I may have had a little bit of an edge in my voice… but I ask him “have you read my file”… he says “no” and begins to ask questions… I am a little rude and say to him in the middle of his sentence “read the file”… he continues to talk as I reiterate “read the file”. He finally stops talking… (I thought Customer Relations was about listening to the customer not listening to yourself talk). He says that he wanted to get to my issue as quickly as possible… I tell him if he wants to know my problem read my file it must be the size of a small novel by now. He confirms my phone number and says he will call me back after he reads my file.

Four hours later… I still have not gotten a call back. So I call Toshiba… Customer Relations I now closed… I just needed someone to tell me what is going on. I go through the regular channels and finally to a supervisor… who can tell me nothing other than my case was passed on from the Customer Relations person I spoke to. To another case manager… I go ballistic… (I am normally a very calm person). I want to know why the Customer Relations person I was in contact with did not have the courtesy to call me back to inform me that he would be handing my case to someone else. Instead of me waiting for a call-back. He apologizes like so many supervisors before him… but this is not getting me anywhere. He tells me he will move my case to critical, that is all he is empowered to do. We end the call.

DAY 10 February 23rd

I again have to make a special effort to be available to Toshiba… I return home to find another day where Toshiba has disappointed me by not calling… I call Toshiba (something that now makes me cringe just thinking about it). Through the Service Representative…. Supervisor… and finally another Customer Service Representative… we go through my case… my lack of customer support… and he apologizes… if they gave me a dollar for every apology I think I could afford another PocketPC.

He asks what Toshiba can do to rectify the situation… I said fix my PocketPC… but I put a disclaimer on that by saying I am not to comfortable with the quality of this device… afterall I have had 3 units in 8 weeks. Not a very good track record. He offers to have it picked up and repaired… (this is the same offer that I received with my initial call over a week ago). I tell I do not feel that is acceptable anymore… I think that Toshiba owes me some good faith after what they have put me through…

I will not bore you with any more details… the final resolution was that they would sent me an advanced unit so that I could continue to use mine. I would then send them back the broken one.

Do I feel that Toshiba did a good job of resolving my problem? NO. Dell has no issues sending advanced units since they are aware that the defect is their end not the users… I had a Casio e-125 that was service free for 3 years… and as far as I know it is still a workhorse for its owner. My Hp2210, which I had for 18 months only had initial issues with the grips. But they were quick to send my replacements… with apologies. And when the device stopped working through no fault of mine after 11 months… they replaced it… and extended my warranty for another year.

I really like the Toshiba e830… I always do my research prior to purchasing my equipment… and liked what Toshiba had to offer in this device. But after having gone through this experience I find myself questioning the quality of the device and the service that backs it. I never post prior to the final resolution of any problems but in this case it seemed the right thing to do with all the other posts the last few days.

I guess I will see what happens as I wait for my (new…?) unit to arrive… it is now DAY 16 March 1st the only thing that I am thankful for is that my unit is working other than the sound. But I feel that a unit that is only 5 weeks old should be replaced with a new one and that would make 4 units in only a handful of weeks. I am not optimistic that this new unit will fair much better. I know I have less confidence in Toshiba’s Customer Relations Department than the PocketPC so that is not saying much.

I will post any new developments…

bmcbride_81
03-02-2005, 12:39 AM
wow that's the biggest post i've ever seen!

Ripper014
03-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Yes I apologize for that... and it could have been longer if I had gone into more detail... if you read all of it then you are a better person than I.

As it is I am still awaiting my replacement unit... and the longer I wait... the more I reflect on any future transactions with Toshiba...

tcassidy
03-02-2005, 04:36 AM
Ripper,
What it makes me think is Toshiba truly is dropping out of the PDA market and the Christmas 830 thing was just getting rid of stock. I can't say I have any love for most support lines. I assume they put all those flunkies at 1st level support to manage calls that are not as straight forward as you might have with your understanding of the product. I have dealt with Toshiba support once for my laptop and the hardest part was getting past the useless 1st level. I am pleased with my E800 and its flexibilty but was certainly considering moving to a newer one next year. It sounds as if the only option at that time will be HP. Guess I will start looking for a new toy.
Terry

Ripper014
03-03-2005, 03:48 AM
Ok... its Wednesday night... March 2nd...

DAY 17...

I was told a week ago that I would receive my new unit by today at the latest... I was still trying to figure out why it would take 7 days to ship a unit from Toronto to Vancouver... I guess it is coming ground (in which case it will be another 3 days)...

Anyway... it is 6:41pm my time and no unit. I thought that I would call Toshiba and at least get confirmation that it was sent... or if lucky a tracking number.

What did I get... a note in the service request that the file was pending...

So I ask the customer service representative exactly what that means... and he can not tell me.

Well all I can say is that Toshiba is consistent... their service so far has been not very good... to put it politely.

Ripper014
03-03-2005, 10:48 PM
DAY 18...

Ok came home early to check the status of my unit. No it has not arrived yet from Toshiba. So needs to be addressed, I call Toshiba Customer Support.

Same old routine... I finally get a supervisor who attempts to connect me to Customer Relations... "THEY ARE IN MEETINGS"....

Nothing has been added to my file... so I am still am not sure if they have done what they said... is a unit on the way...???

They offer to send my case back up to Customer Relations... lol... for what... Would I like to contact my Customer Relations person...? what for he already told me I would get my unit by Wednesday of this week and that has not happened... would I like another Customer Relations person to re-initiate the process... "are you kidding...?"

Should I be talking to this person's boss...? Probably... but that will have to be tomorrow since they are in meetings...

So it looks like we are going into DAY 19 to get some kind of resolution... So what do you feel my time and aggravation is worth...?

johncruise
03-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Phone in using a different name. Maybe they had you blacklisted in their list in mind that everytime you call they are thinking... "aw man... not him again?!" :lol:

Kidding aside.... I don't expect this kind of service from a big company like Toshiba. Japanese company are very keen in keeping their customer relations (aside the high quality of their products). Same reason why I bought my first PDA from Casio instead from Compaq and HP (when they were once separated). That's also the reason why I'm puzzled why the treatment like this to one of their loyal customer (you), granted that this Toshiba you are talking to is based in Canada.

At this point, I would suggest you call your local BBB (Better Business Bureu) and file a complaint. This agency does follow up with such complaints and may help expedite the RMA process you are into.

I really hope that you get all this things fixed for you by Toshiba.

Goodluck buddy...

bigkingfun
03-04-2005, 01:35 AM
If you haven't already done so, you should check with the retailer you bought it from and see if they can escalate it through a local rep for Toshiba. I doubt that they will give you that person's name, but they should be able to call them on your behalf.

I used to work with a retailer in the Lower Mainland and we could usually get a quicker response this way because the rep knows who to call. If they understand the hassles you've gone through, they shouldn't have a problem doing this. They handle everything through email though, so it's still not all that fast.

I don't know if Toshiba still has a local rep, but it might be worth a try.

As far as what your time and aggravation is worth, I hate to say it but don't hold your breath for any kind of compensation. Most manufacturers won't compensate your time, and Toshiba is an especially difficult one to deal with. Their service and support policies are set up to protect them, not their customers.

jbachandouris
03-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Sorry for your troubles, but this is why I did not buy a Toshiba in the first place. I usually by HP/Compaq and when I do I buy a service plan from the store and when replacement time comes, I always push for an upgrade.

baker
03-04-2005, 04:54 AM
Been there and sorry for your troubles. I had an e310 that went to the shop three times during the first nine months that I owned it. The first time in, they sent a different unit back and I "lost" my PPCTechs WriteShield. Dummy me should have known better. Toshiba also didn't have a record of my "new" unit and actually thought I stole it as it was under another person's name. It took about a week to get that cleared up and then another to get the unit back on the second return. Third time in they sent back the same unit and had it under my name. About a month after a year the e310 started turning itself on every 30 seconds or so. Sent it in a fourth time and they said it would take $125 to repair as it needed a new board. I said no thanks. About the same time one of our daughters bought a very inexpensive Compaq laptop which she had been saving for a long time. She had the poor thing so confused after about a month and I was too confused myself to figure it out. Compaq/HP support was great and helped me get it back to normal. Because of the help and being in withdrawl for a PPC, I purchased a refurbished 4155 through my company's purchase plan. It has been a solid device. At about nine months, my daughter's laptop power adapter went bad. I went through the on-line trouble shooting and emailed HP. They asked if I'd tried trouble shooting, yes I typed, the next reply from HP was that the power adapter would be shipped, I typed thank you and also typed that come tax time we were planning to buy a laptop and it would be an HP or Compaq. I called in about a wifi issue on my 4155 and it was still registered with the previous owner. I did fax my invoice in and believe it or not HP called the house and told my wife the warranty support was updated. So, on March 11, 2005 I should be moving our old desktop into one of our son's bedrooms and my wife and I will be opening boxes with a new Compaq laptop and network printer. The coming laptop was priced a little higher than a comparable Toshiba due to a rebate. My boss purchased a Toshiba laptop about six months ago and he's not had any troubles. However, we decided to pay a little more believing the support would be there from HP/Compaq.

Ripper014
03-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Actually I do have a name and contact for a local representative for Toshiba... and it is not hard to find. It is post on one of their websites.

But I would rather not deal with him unless I absolutely have to... for now I want to continue my deliberations with Toshiba Canada... at this point I just want to see how long this can go on for... before I get a call back from someone that can do something.

Thankfully at this point my unit is still functional except for the internal speaker... which is not ideal... but I can work around it for now... I just want to see how inept a company as large as Toshiba can be and how long they can sustain it... so far it has been absolutely amazing to me how unprofessional the service has been... and how consistant they are delivering it...

I guess I should have bought that Loox 720 afterall... the problem was that it was hard to source... and the warranty seemed like it may be a problem... but I guess I was wrong... it could not be any worse than this.

I will keep those of you interested updated. Tomorrow is another opportunity for me to talk to Toshiba.

dignow96
03-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Ripper - damn man, that hurts just to read it. Not to add to your story but I did purchase the 720 from FS. Its been great so far but that's not why I'm posting. I ordered it through a UK company called Clove Technology (www.clovetechnology.com). They accepted payment from and shipped the unit to Kuwait. Their site said that for expensive items the automatically ship via international courier (DHL, FedEx, etc). They didn't do so with my first unit. After waiting 30+ days for it to arrive (partly due to delays from FS) I contacted Clove Customer Service via email. I recieved a response from Clove's owner who completely agreed that the Loox should have been sent out via courier and not normal UK mail. They shipped me a SECOND unit free of charge and asked that I simply return the first one to them if it ever arrived. I have since been in irregular contact with them but they have never seen the first unit they sent me again. Point being that if you're having difficulties finding a product in the future you might check with them. Hope that this saga with Toshiba at least has a working device ending. Best of luck.

Doug Raeburn
03-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Wow, what a nightmare! The treatment that you've received at Toshiba's hands is inexcusably bad.

When I heard that Toshiba was pulling out of the Pocket PC market, I wasn't the least bit surprised, based on my owner experiences with an e740. Way too many problems, way too many design flaws. After that, I swore I'd never buy another Toshiba Pocket PC. That outcome took me by surprise, since Toshiba is one of my most preferred brands for laptops and televisions.

As for the Loox, I shared your concerns about warranty services but decided to go with it anyway. As such, I was somewhat relieved to see that another owner from the US got good warranty service right in the US. I would hope that owners in other parts of NA would be able to get similarly good service.

In case anyone is interested in that Loox report, here's the link:

http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?p=23710#post23710

Anyway, I hope this situation eventually has a happy ending for you.

Doug Raeburn
03-04-2005, 07:55 AM
I ordered it through a UK company called Clove Technology (www.clovetechnology.com). They accepted payment from and shipped the unit to Kuwait. Their site said that for expensive items the automatically ship via international courier (DHL, FedEx, etc). They didn't do so with my first unit. After waiting 30+ days for it to arrive (partly due to delays from FS) I contacted Clove Customer Service via email. I recieved a response from Clove's owner who completely agreed that the Loox should have been sent out via courier and not normal UK mail. They shipped me a SECOND unit free of charge and asked that I simply return the first one to them if it ever arrived. I have since been in irregular contact with them but they have never seen the first unit they sent me again. Point being that if you're having difficulties finding a product in the future you might check with them.

Just wanted to echo your sentiments about Clove. Since the Loox isn't marketed in the US, I purchased mine from them and they were great. I don't know how large their staff is, but in my experience, it's rare to deal directly with the owner of a company when trying to resolve an issue. But I was in direct communication with Chris Love several times, and he was always very courteous, very concerned with my satisfaction and very responsive.

At any rate, I wouldn't hesistate for a moment to do business with Clove again.

Warwick
03-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Damn, All I can say is that I thought HP was bad. At least they tried to fix my 545, well I think they did.

Ripper014
03-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks for everyone's concerns... but at this point... I am really interested in where my problems with Toshiba will take me.

As far the Loox... I am aware of the post you are referring to... I actually visit about 8 boards regularly... including those specifically for Hp, Dell and Loox PocketPC's... I like to stay as informed as I can about what is available.

Anyway... at this point it has become a little personal... as mentioned I own a lot of Toshiba products... and the resolution of this situation will probably reflect my future purchasing decisions...

pcboy2003
03-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Wow, I feel sorry for you ripper. I hope you will get your unit fix soon. I don't know if location maybe a factor. I remember I had to send my e740 for the battery recall, and toshiba handle it ver professionally. I called them up, and they shipped me a shipping box the next day, then after 3-4 days, I called them up, and they told me the unit will be sent back to me the following Monday, and I did get my unit back on Monday, it took about a week. But not having my PDA with me for that week was pain in the ass, but anyways I did purchased the e830 over the x50v because toshiba's support (I guess I might be wrong...). Well, I hope I wouldn't run into the same problem as you with my e830. So far, my unit is perfect, besides the bluetooth functionality.

mr_Ray
03-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Heh, that's some bad stuff you've got going on with Toshiba. No wonder they're leaving the PPC market, as has been said.

Still, your experience with Toshiba is an order of magnitude more pleasant than my one with Dell was. They're the real experts in lying to and cheating customers. :)

DaleReeck
03-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I too love Brando screen savers :) When getting rid of a device, I always remove the protector. (Using a pirce of scotch tape attached to one of the corners will pull it off) Even if it won't fit my new PDA, I keep them for other uses, cutting them if necessary, whatever.

Unfortauntely, when it comes to customer service, more companies are like Toshiba than they are like, uh, er, uh, hmmmm. OK, I can't really think of a big company with good customer service right now, but I'm sure there's, you know, like, ONE out there somewhere that isn't completely incompetent when it comes to customer service :D

ctitanic
03-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Ripper014, I bought a long time ago a toshiba e740 and I created a page to share my experiences with that machine www.tweaks2k2.com/e740.htm , if you read that page you will find how I sold that machine and how I promised that I will never buy any other toshiba product for the rest of my life. So far, I have bought two more pocket pcs after that one and both of them are not Toshiba. In another hand I can tell you that when I read the news about Toshiba leaving the PPC market I bought a 6 pack to celebrate that good news! 0X

saznpins
03-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Sorry to read of your Toshiba woes Ripper :( It was like deja vu after reading your tale.

In 2002/3 (this took months to resolve) I had an 2 month old e740 that was sent in for repairs 3 times unsuccessfull. Then they sent me a new (refurbed) unit with the same wifi problem. Finally after many conversations just like yours (pretty much useless) with customer relations and a number of escallations I was given a refund of my purchase price and consider myself lucky that I got that much.

I did not receive compensation for the HOURS of wasted time, loss of productivity without my PPC, the case, screen protector or sync/charge cable that I had purchased for the flawed unit.

It's a shame to see that other consumers are still receiving the same extremely poor treatment that I has experienced years ago. Despite the many good Toshiba products that are available I will never buy anything from them again.

I hope you get your situation resolved in a positive way soon!
Cheers,
Sarah

felixdd
03-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Ripper...it's 2 pm EST (or 11 PST). Do you know where your PPC is? :wink:

Faenad
03-04-2005, 08:39 PM
As for me no complain concerning Toshiba. Technical support was Ok, no particular problem. So I got an e830 now after an e800. Great unit, I really liked the Hp form factor, but was dissapointed previously by HP support and I would have missed to much the jog dial and the 128 RAM so I stuck to Toshiba.

I have about 4 months ago the same kind of repair nightmares, but with HP. Took them 10 days to have a battery replaced, when the warranty stated 48H.

By the way, they have to ship back first the defective battery, then they send a new one (Was explained I don't have their extended warranty, just standard one). So a simple battery replacement immobilised my unit ten days, constantly on AC power to prevent a hard reset.

First the deliverer was supposed to come, and did not come.
Then after a few days and many calls, he come, and first was even asking for the whole unit, and was going to ship it in a standard mail envelope. Hopefully I was here that day.

Took the same amount of time, calls and effort to have my new battery shipped back. The battery would never have come if I haven't call many times HP and the deliverer. Got no compensation at all neither.

The 1940 was quite a good PPC, but I decided to switch to another brand.
Too much hassles.

bangersandmash
03-04-2005, 08:48 PM
It's amazing just how inconsistant service can be. My e800 died on February 26th. It was a degenerative death that involved the device being unresponsive to taps, freezing and then eventually refusing to power up, soft reset or even hard reset. I checked the battery and it didn't seem to be the source of the problem.

I got in touch with Toshiba Canada and they sent me a box with bubble wrap so back to the shop it went. I got it back this afternoon, 9 days after sending it back. So far it seems to be in perfect working order. I honestly have complaints at all. (ok, those 9 days without my e800 were hard, but...)

btw: does anyone know how toshiba's serial numbers work? my serial number ends in 00002CA. Would this imply that I am the proud owner of the second e800 made/sold in Canada? :D

tcassidy
03-04-2005, 09:06 PM
----002CA
Thats the model number, not the serial number.
Terry

bangersandmash
03-04-2005, 10:25 PM
thanks for the tip on the model number. Just an addendum to my previous post:

I had my e800 back for all of 45 minutes before it died again. Is it too late to jump on the bandwagon?

Ripper014
03-04-2005, 11:24 PM
DAY 19...

Well same situation... through customer service... but this time the rep was aware enough to pass me through to the receptionist... I was unable to connect to the Customer Representative I dealt with... nor anyone else in this department.

However she was very good in that she did not give up trying to get me in touch with someone... (20 minutes later...)

I was connected with the person responsible for the CR Department... he was polite and ask me how he could correct my problem... a fair question... however at this point I feel that whomever is dealing with my case needs to know the specifics... I asked him to review my case... and get back to me.

I also spoke to him for about 40 minutes... and I address a few concerns with Toshiba... he said that he would follow-up with the person handling my case... and get back to me.

I guess we see on Monday... where we stand on DAY 22...

Gerard
03-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Jeepers Ripper, you're really starting to convince me away from daydreaming of an e800. This is some scary stuff. Shades of my early days with Casio's EG-800... though the VP of their US office relented after a shorter interval than you've been suffering, sending me a replacement unit before I sent back the defective one. He kept on with that through 4 replacements, adding a couple of extra batteries, an extra cable, and an IrDA/USB cradle into the bargain for my trouble.

Better luck with this. I'll keep watching your sufferings with interest, and the outcome will certainly have a lot to do with any purchasing decisions I make this year. The X5 will last for a while longer but I'm getting tired of the memory limitations and leaks.

Ripper014
03-05-2005, 02:50 AM
Hi Gerard...

Sorry to have missed you at the last meeting. I hope your doing better.

I know that you have been looking at the Toshiba e800 series for a while now... and it seemed like you were ready to commit a few months ago. I hope this episode has not influenced you too much. Overall I still like the unit alot... and you have played with it... so you know what I am saying. However... if the unit is plagued with inherent issues... and if this is what we can expect from customer support. I agree... there are better options...

I feel my last call did get me up significantly up the corporate ladder... and as he said... would you be talking to a person at his level with HP... my reply was... "why am I talking to someone at his level at all".

My concerns are having gone through 3 units in 8 weeks... with differing problems... my dealings with the retailer were excellent... (Toshiba's fault shipping units that did not work out of the box), but I cannot say the same about resolving my issue with the third unit (Toshiba warranty support). I guess you can say the common denominator is Toshiba.

At this point I just feel that I have been very unlucky... Unlucky to get two bad units out of the box... unlucky to have what seemed to be a good unit have speaker problems... unlucky to have a service rep mis-direct me to a non-existant service repair centres for my device... unlucky to get service representatives that do not follow-through... all in all I am guessing I am an unlucky person.

NOW... I want to see what Toshiba does to correct my unlucky streak... afterall... they seem to be the black cat that crossed my path... prior to this life was pretty good... and my hair did not have any grey.

Awww... one last thing... Gerard... the Belkin I/R keyboard is available at Staples for $89.00 can... Just in case your still interested... The Toshiba BT Stack still does not support the BT one so if your looking to purchase for the future this may help in your decision.

tcassidy
03-05-2005, 03:51 AM
I feel my last call did get me up significantly up the corporate ladder... and as he said... would you be talking to a person at his level with HP... my reply was... "why am I talking to someone at his level at all".

Good one Ripper!! That should light a fire under someone.
Terry

iclark
03-05-2005, 04:38 AM
I experienced a similarly disappointing customer service experience with my e740.

What they seem to forget it that the only reason why they exist is because we exist and buy their product (Customer = King).

I simply voted with my feet (or more importantly my wallet). They totally lost me as a customer - personally and as a corporate customer.

I was so annoyed I sold my laptop - bought a Fujitsu Lifebook (BTW Fujitsu blew my expectations in every aspect - performance, features, price, service, support).

Dumped my e740 - moved to Smartphone.

None of the pending home theatre will be Toshiba - If I could sell my 68" TV easily I probably would have.

Just spent $3k on new airconditioning - Did not even bother to look at Toshiba product range in the store.

Even in areas such as copiers and fax machines in my business, I have not even considered Toshiba products regardless of how good it may be...I do not trust their corporate ability to stand behind their product.

I may be a little fish but prior to the e740 issue I could not stop bragging about my TV and Laptop. What did they do wrong. They stopped standing behind their product.

Gerard
03-05-2005, 04:51 AM
Awww... one last thing... Gerard... the Belkin I/R keyboard is available at Staples for $89.00 can...

Thanks for that Ripper, but I checked eBay and got one for $38 (Canadian) including shipping. It should be here in a week or so, once PayPal clears my credit union withdrawal so 'la_guy' can ship it to me from So. California. I hope to have it for our next meeting.

Thanks again for reporting all your detailed adventures. Seems painful, but maybe it'll turn around.

MegaManXcalibur
03-05-2005, 05:04 AM
Hey Ripper I feel sorry for you. I had a very similar (scarily similar) experiance with IBM and I just want to say hang in there. Once they realize you won't go away they will probably go away.

I'm not sure if Canada has anything similar to the Better Business Bueru (maybe its just a Minnesota thing as well I'm not sure) but if they do and Toshiba won't do anything for you call them up. Its how I got my deal with IBM done and if you have a similar organization to turn to Toshiba will probably become quite flexable quite fast.

Gerard
03-05-2005, 06:10 AM
The BBB is all over the US and Canada, not at all just a local thing.

midtoad
03-06-2005, 06:04 PM
just to post a dissenting opinion, I bought a Toshiba e830 and it has functioned flawlessly. I've also ordered several accessories on-line from shoptoshiba.ca and they've arrived within 3 days. so they're doing some things right, at least for some people.

Having said that, a colleague at work bought an e830, had problems with it, and they sent him a French version as a replacement! (This is Calgary, not Montréal!). Finally on the 3rd unit they got it right...

S

Phillip Dyson
03-07-2005, 02:32 AM
I have to say I was very engrossed by your initial entry.
Especially Day 9.
I completely visualized the whole "read the file" scene. Perhaps because I've been there. Not specifically with Toshiba, but with any number of customer support experiences.

I'm definitely waiting for the conclusion.

tcassidy
03-07-2005, 03:53 AM
The suspense this weekend was almost unbearable. Can't wait for Monday's installment.
Terry

Deralict
03-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Damn! This si fascinating, and i have to admit, I'm really posting just so I can continue to receive notifications of future "episodes"!

Actually, we are a vertail market software developer for PPCs, and we currently sell Toshiba PPCs as our recommended offering (HP will not let us sell, and my experiences with their support in the past sound an awful lot like this story, so not really a big deal). I'm concerned though that this story will make us reconsider selling Toshiba (although what else will be left?)

Ripper014
03-07-2005, 11:24 PM
DAY 22...

Ok... this did not go well. I was given a 888 number by the someone who seemed to be a division manager... along with his name and extension... but my Toshiba failed to save the note. Awww... wonderful device this is...

My fault I guess I should have put it on paper...

Anyway... I had to go through the long route... I called... Toshiba Canada... through their customer service and got level 1 support... after our introductions... he past me through to his supervisor... I asked to be connected to Customer Relations... and was told he could not do this...??? WHAT...???

Could not or would not...? It was would not... when every other supervisor I have talked to has at least made the effort to past me up... this one decides it is against policy and absolutely refused.... the time is 4:20pm EST... I have been on the phone since 4:00pm EST... I do not anymore time to waste on this person. I hang up and try again with the hopes of getting a different supervisor... he assured me my odds were good in getting him again...

I call again... after talking to the level 1 representative for about 30 seconds... he tells me he has no facility to pass me up to Customer Relations... I do not even respond I hangup... AM I ANGRY...?

I dial the 905 number given to me... (long distance charges to me) and contact my Customer Relations representative directly... lucky for me he answers his phone... I quickly ask him to call me back... I make sure he has my number...

He returns my call... (it is now 4:25pm EST) and asks how I am doing... and I relay my frustrations of the previous 20 minutes... And he tells me that my unit is ready to be shipped...

I ask him what is taking so long... apparantly he needed approval from someone that was not in the office for 2 days... and then he was not in on Friday... So for a unit that was to have arrived to me by Wednseday of last week... I should get it by Wednesday of this week (earliest).

Note that even after making contact with Customer Relations it will still take 14 days to get me my replacement unit.

Acceptable...???

Well I suggested that he spend some time researching the service of some other companies... their competitors Dell and Hp for start.

As it is... I have wasted untold hours... average of 1.5 hours per call... and 4 hours... driving around the city for service depots that do not repair PPC's... and finally when it arrives... I will need to make a trip across the city into another suburb to get my unit from the Depot...

So has it been a trying excercise... you bet... and in the end what did I get from Toshiba..? A working unit... which is what I should have gotten from them when I first opened the box... and the 1 year warranty..? Well if you work hard enough at it... I guess they will provide that too.

I will let you know if my unit actually arrives... and when it does if it is in full working order... I will also let you know how long it lasts for if it happens to breakdown.

As I mentioned... for the 111 days I have owned a Toshiba e830... it has been in full working operation for 38 of those days... or 32.4% of the time. I am not to optimistic about the next 245 days...

Also note that the unit has never been mistreated or dropped... I am a bit of a power user so maybe the processor might be a little taxed but no more than it should be designed to do... All in all I do like the unit... the only problem is it seems to have something on it that is not working...

If I can analogize... it is like owning a Mercedes SLK that is spending all its time in the shop... You like the car... but it is never fully functioning...

Ripper014
03-07-2005, 11:26 PM
As as side note... the e-mail I sent to Customer Relations... I never did get a response...

ctmagnus
03-08-2005, 12:02 AM
fwiw, I used to have BT range issues. It turned out to be a misbehaving TV. As soon as that TV was unplugged, I had wonderful BT range again. But I guess the keyword here is "again" as you never had that great of a range with the Toshiba in the first place.

tcassidy
03-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Ripper,
I don't understand the purpose of this diatribe. Is it to;

1. Suggest to others that Toshiba support doesn't measure up?
Although I don't have a lot of experience with support in the computer market, what I have has never lived up to my expectations. I think calling them every day will always lead to frustration. And 4 hours driving to shops-don't you have a phone? Also, you said there was the possibility of discussing it with a local rep but you didn't try.

2. Try and get Toshiba to straighten up and fly right in the consumer marketplace?
Do they pay any attention to sites like this? You know only a small minority of users are here.

3. Blow off steam for your frustration?
Great idea!
Terry

Ripper014
03-08-2005, 01:41 AM
There is no purpose other than to enlighten others on my adventures...

1. Should I need to call authorized service centres... when they are being directed to me by Toshiba themselves... Actually I did call the locations ahead of time to get their hours.. and with one service centre I did state my problem... When I got there... she said she was sorry, she thought the item was a laptop.

2. It is up to Toshiba to monitor and change their policies as they see fit. We can suggest... and help them decide on policy... but the bottom-line is that the choice is theirs. It is hard to say how many users actually visit here... but you would have to admit that the power users would frequent these sites... and it is they that can impact the general population. As an example... how much of what you say influences the non-techies around you... I know that in my small world... I affect alot of people directly... and I am sure from those I affect, there are mulitple groups of people that expand from there. As the commercial says... I told two friends that told two friends and so on...

3. I am not sure if this has let me blow off any steam... as the more I type the more heated I seem to get... reliving the events.

But like I have mentioned... I am at the point now that I have resigned myself to the fact that this is worse customer service I have ever seen... and at every level I have gone through. At this point I just want to see how much further it can go.

tcassidy
03-09-2005, 08:05 AM
Ripper,
Based on your problems with support, this evening I took my E800 apart to fix a bent pin on the cf card socket rather than call for an RMA. The pin I straightened had pushed another into the holder so it wasn't protruding far enough to make contact. I glanced at the earphone/ microphone socket while it was open but it is well covered and I couldn't see if the contacts are easily accessible.
Not too difficult and although I pulled the battery and had it apart for 20 minutes, it didn't require a restore.
Terry

Ripper014
03-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks Terry...

Yep the backup battery/capacitor I believe is good for about 30 minutes... so your just under the wire.

As for my problems... well like I said I should be seeing a new unit in the next day or so... But I now have a new problem... whatever was causing my problem is almost fixed... lol... I thought it was a stuck toggle but I could not get it to free itself... well in the last few hours it has decided to work, kind of. It is not quite 100% but it is pretty close... if I shake it a little the sound does stop... but it comes back. I am thinking that maybe the toggle has freed itself if indeed that was the problem.

I am now not sure if I want to switch devices... since this is the only problem I have had with it.. plus I do not want to reapply the screen protector.. this one is perfect. I will just wait it out... and see how it goes the next day or so. Funny how things in life work.

tcassidy
03-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Usually it is just a bent metal contact that is pushed open when the plug is inserted. Possibly a little contact cleaner sprayed on the plug and a couple of insertions may clear it.
I would certainly be concerned about a replacement unit considering the problems you have had. I expect you will keep both of them for long enough to determine which is best. You will have both at the next meeting-right?
Terry

Warwick
03-09-2005, 10:26 PM
I think that any new device that is having problems should be replaced with a defective free device. After all you have gone through, dont give up now. Im sure the new device will work just fine. Dont settle for less.

Ripper014
03-10-2005, 01:49 AM
Day 24...

Ok.. the Customer Relations Representative... sent me an email today... with the waybill number, I assume I can track it with this number. NOW if only they had included with the number the carrier they used.

I am guessing I should have it by Friday... so even though I was told it was ready on Monday... it still took another 2 days to ship it... I am not overly impressed with anything that Toshiba has done.

So in the end... what did I get for my troubles...? Well... I guess what my warranty was suppose to give me... except that it took 26 days... and a lot of my time and frustration...

I will confirm that I got the unit...

Ripper014
03-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Day 25...

Its here... I have the replacement unit... I can't tell if it is new or not. The box has been opened... but that could be they wanted to test it prior to sending it to me.

I checked it over and it seems to be working... it is not as stable as my current unit... and the battery creaks in this unit. I switch batteries... and it seems better.

I was not as fortunate with my Screen Protector... but I guess there is no way that you can get it on without dust... after the first time (something I guess I have to live with). Other than that I guess I am done with Toshiba Customer Service for now... they did not send me a send address box to return it in as promised... so I guess I will just pack it back up in the one I received it in and create a new label.

So how was my experience... not very good... and did Toshiba do anything to make it up to me... nope. Is it what we expected... based on the level of service I saw... I would have to say I am not surprised. Any future purchases from Toshiba will be difficult for me... as I have mentioned earlier... this is the first time I have had to use their customer service... and its the worst I have come across... I think my money would be best spent else where...

Phillip Dyson
03-11-2005, 03:12 AM
Its ironic. I am happy with my e830.
But now I'm in the market for a new laptop and there is a Toshiba that I
ve put on my list of possibilities.

Toshiba Satellite M45-S331

Maybe I should remove it on principle.

gt24
03-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Ripper,
I don't understand the purpose of this diatribe. Is it to;

1. Suggest to others that Toshiba support doesn't measure up?
Although I don't have a lot of experience with support in the computer market, what I have has never lived up to my expectations. I think calling them every day will always lead to frustration. And 4 hours driving to shops-don't you have a phone? Also, you said there was the possibility of discussing it with a local rep but you didn't try.

2. Try and get Toshiba to straighten up and fly right in the consumer marketplace?
Do they pay any attention to sites like this? You know only a small minority of users are here.

3. Blow off steam for your frustration?
Great idea!
Terry

Because knowledge is power?? Posts like this throughout the years helped me, in the past, know exactly what I was doing when I purchased my Toshiba e740. It was a used unit, so design flaws were unlikely (unfortunately, it did have a design flaw which I had to fix with sodering!! It works now though...). I also bought the device used because I more or less considered Toshiba's Tech Support to be more of a hassle than it was worth (as in, the lower price of the used unit I bought off the person was extemely justified).

So, from knowing all the stories, and wating a darn durable device, I made my decision and avoided Toshiba. A friend of mine, on the other hand, went with Toshiba. His device (e805) is having issues right now (the case cracked, and then a litney of unkown issues happened afterwards (the digitizer wouldn't respond in certain areas of the screen, then the device mysteriously hard reset...) while my device is still running like a champ (Activesync has been much more of a pain than my device ever has been).

If nobody "rants", then if this happens to you, you won't expect it at all. Tech support shouldn't be this way and at least knowing that, in this case it can be, can prepare you to handle the issue.

I'm glad my device (Dell device, if you want to know) is still going strong! :) I hope my friends device (the e805) starts to work better... Toshiba devices are really nice as long as you avoid the issues...

Ripper014
03-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Ok.. now here is something interesting... now that I have something that belongs to them I get a call from Customer Relations to see when they can get it back.

I should hold it for 25 days... (the time it took Toshiba to get me the replacement), but I will probably send it back on Monday. I just want to make sure that this unit is fully functional.

SteveHoward999
03-12-2005, 05:13 PM

Are you mad? ???

I'd not buy a Toshiba laptop. My wife and I bought new laptops 3.5 years ago - I got a Dell, she got a Toshiba. Hers started to fall apart (literally - it started with th eControl jey I think ...) after 18 months. After 2 years 50% of the key labels were worn off. Before it was 2.5 years old the power socket gave up the ghost completely.

Meantime my Dell is still running fine. Only one key (the "A") has lost it's label, nothing has fallen off and it performs well enough that I am going to keep it for at least one more year.

Yes I know Dell's tech support has taken a beating over the last couple of years, but I have found it to be fantastic (in the UK) and mediocre (in the USA) but certainly better than Toshiba. But more to the point, Dell build great machines that have a longer useful working life than any other PC or laptop that I have used.

Phillip Dyson
03-12-2005, 10:37 PM

Are you mad? ???

LOL!
I didn't realize that I would get such a reaction. Actually my first laptop was a Toshiba. Over 3 years ago. Admittedly it did start having problems. My mother is using it now. But she doesn't really know any different. Its her first computer.

Actually I've ruled out the Toshiba already. I'm looking at Fujitsu, Acer, IBM, HP, and HP Compaq.

Altaman
03-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Well to add to the Toshiba service fiasco that Ripper had, I can tell you that the service for their TV's is jsut as pathetic!

I bought a Toshiba 57HX84 WS TV to replace my 55H95. Well the TV is about 3 mths old and I have this orange discoloration that appears frequently down the right side. I call their repair depot in Calgary, they send a tech to look at it. To make a long story short, the tech has me turn the TV away from the piucture window so as to be sure it is not light from the window. I also tell him that this happens at night, IN THE DARK!

After about 30-45 min he says weird, will have to email Toshiba and get back to me in a couple days. A week goes by and I call the service center, receptionist says I will have to speak to manager. The manager looks at the file and says tech wrote no problem, from sunlight! I said wait a sec, the tech told me he could see the problem, called it weird and that he would have to contact Toshiba. Manager states no problem, from sunlight. I said if that is what your tech wrote he is a liar! Manager says it is only a TV, don't say that about people. I state it is my TV and $3000 and if that is what the tech wrote after coming to my home, he is a liar. Manager says that he will put in my file not to provide me service again. I tell him that if that is how his techs are I do not want them in my house and would be contacting Toshiba.

I get ahold of the manager of FS TV dept, explain my situation to him. He states he will get the district manager for Toshiba to contact me...still waiting!

Moral is Toshiba service sucks no matter what product you buy!

Alt

P.S. Have to send wife's Toshiba laptop in for service due to a line going down the left side of the screen, waiting on the next nightmare!

ctmagnus
03-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Altaman: Sounds to me like a call to the BBB is in order.

Ripper014
03-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems Altman... but I would definitely not let the manager get away with a comment like that. I would take it up with his boss... and Toshiba Canada. I think it is important that Toshiba Canada knows how their agents are providing service to their customers. A manager that reacts the way you stated does not need a reprimand he need to be dismissed of his duties.

Managers are suppose to be people persons that can resolve conflicts... not increase the tension between company and client. This guy need to be fired along with the service representative that was sent out to you. I am assuming this is a contracted agent for Future Shop..? If this is the case then both Future Shop and Toshiba need to know.

Altaman
03-21-2005, 02:48 AM
It is actually one of two Toshiba Authorized service centres in Calgary. I am going to be calling toshiba tomorrow probably as I never got the call from the district manager I was waiting for.

Alt

plschwartz
04-20-2005, 04:09 AM
I have a new Dell laptop and have had great trouble with their support. First I have waited for almost an hour online. Then I was told that "Our warranty on covers hardware."
Windows is software and is not covered by warranty. They want you to spend big bucks on a software support package.

BTW I have found the support persons in India much mre helpful then their US kin