View Full Version : SD vs CF for large database use/frequent access

dotcomdoc
03-01-2005, 08:12 PM
I am a doctor and I use a large database program on my ipaq 2215 using an IBM 1G microdrive. Lately it has been acting funny and I am wanting to upgrade to something faster. What I would like to know is, since now there are 1gigabyte CF and SD drives it seems I can use either for what I need. They seem to cost about the same. Which is faster/ Are there advantages to either? Would they be faster than my microdrive (I hope)? I can get a Lexar 1GB 80x Compact Flash Card for $130. Is this a good deal? I just dont know how to compare the SD and CF since the SD cards dont list "40x" or "60x". Thanks a lot for any info-

dotcomdoc
03-01-2005, 09:03 PM
If it helps, this card would be used for reading only, no writing

Menneisyys
03-01-2005, 09:53 PM
The 2210 generally accesses SD cards a bit faster for read access, so, it may be better to get an SD card. There is not much speed difference, however - 100-200 kbytes/s at most. You should, however, test your card's reading speed before buying it by, for example, copying a several-megabyte file (for example, an MP3) from it to your main memory with either Resco File Explorer or Total Commander (the built-in File Explorer is very slow under WM2003+).

I've also done some 2210 speed benchmarks some 19-20 months ago; feel free to check them out at http://www2.freeweb.hu/menneisyys/CARDS/ . The article is pretty outdated, though.