View Full Version : What can I do to use my Belkin BT GPS for Hiking and Camping?

critique
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
I have owned a Belkin Bluetooth GPS that I use with my iPaq 2215 for about 9 months now. The streets mapping is great! (I am in the US) but I really want it for hiking and geocaching.
I have the National Geographic TOPO! software, but it only wants to talk to a Magellan or Garmin.
I read somewhere on here about the gpsdash software and have downloaded it to try it. Not sure if I can save my maps from TOPO and use them with this software, but I am going to try.
Does anyone know of an iron-clad foolproof way of using the Belkin/HP BT GPS for outdoor/hiking/off-road mapping?

Thanks in advance!
Fred
--------------------------------------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

CEGiven
03-15-2005, 02:20 AM
I have owned a Belkin Bluetooth GPS that I use with my iPaq 2215 for about 9 months now. The streets mapping is great! (I am in the US) but I really want it for hiking and geocaching.
I have the National Geographic TOPO! software, but it only wants to talk to a Magellan or Garmin.
I read somewhere on here about the gpsdash software and have downloaded it to try it. Not sure if I can save my maps from TOPO and use them with this software, but I am going to try.
Does anyone know of an iron-clad foolproof way of using the Belkin/HP BT GPS for outdoor/hiking/off-road mapping?

Thanks in advance!
Fred
--------------------------------------------------
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Are you just interested in Topo maps? Or any software for outoor use?

I can suggest Delorme, but I've not used it personally -- just read the product literature. But it did look good.

As far as Geocaching I really like GPSTuner. I also have Vito Navigator II which is good, but got GPSTuner since support for Vito was so horrible. And to manage geocache files I use GPXsonar. I also like Pocket Streets (included with MS Streets & Trips) and iGuidance -- but they are mostly on-road or near-road useful.

mattp
03-15-2005, 03:40 AM
Here are some more options, also:

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=65

I haven't tried any of these programs (Memory Map, OziExplorer, Outdoor Navigator), but have read some good things about each.